Namo Amituofo healing powers?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Strive4Karuna

Namo Amituofo healing powers?

Post by Strive4Karuna »

There were some bugs in my dogs water bowl, they are always in there, I don't know if they try to commit suicide or not...but I saw three of them together in the water, so i took a spoon and tried to save them this time.

The bodies of this insect are really thin (4 legs 2 wings), so the weight of the water is a lot on their bodies. There legs and wings became almost entangled because of the weight of the water...so after I got them on a spoon..I picked them up on a piece of paper.

As I chanted Amituofo's (Chinese) name and the wind from my mouth was exhaled out onto the insect that I was chanting too..it slowly became dry and all its parts were put back in the right place. The amazing thing is, wind is enough to do damage to these fragile insects, and if you blew the wrong way its body would have become more entangled or damaged. This worked as well for the other two and they all flew away at the end.

The first time I first learnt about this chant from my monastic friend which was over a year ago, I had the same positive effect by bringing me great peace when I was anxious but this time It healed bodies.
Hickersonia

Re: Namo Amituofo healing powers?

Post by Hickersonia »

I don't know for certain that chanting (of any kind) necessarily has healing powers in and of itself, but if your intentions are positive and your actions are skillful, positive results are to be expected.

Nicely done. :) Please be well, friend. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Strive4Karuna wrote: As I chanted Amituofo's (Chinese) name ....
You might get more response about that at the Dharma Wheel Mahayana/Vajrayana sister forum.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hickersonia wrote:I don't know for certain that chanting (of any kind) necessarily has healing powers in and of itself, but if your intentions are positive and your actions are skillful, positive results are to be expected.

Nicely done. :)
+1

There may be a scientific answer with the wind from your voice drying out the water, but either way, the intentions and motivation were good and the chant is certainly similar to sending metta.

:thumbsup:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Strive4Karuna wrote:As I chanted Amituofo..
You'll find more Pure Land experts over at the sister site. Here's just my 2 cents: while the chanting may already be a powerful practice, the proper intention and effort to implement it would make it even more effective. As explained in the sutra:
..if a virtuous man or virtuous woman who hears and speaks ‘Amitābha Buddha,’ holding and maintaining his name for one, two, three, four, five, six, or seven days single-mindedly without confusion..~~ Amitabha Sutra ~~
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

I've always been taught that chanting nianfo is way to achieve birth in Amitabha's buddhafield. Don't know about these other things.