Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

Postby binocular » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 am

purple planet wrote:What is the best meditation technique to fall asleep fast ?

There's the Mr. Bean counting sheep to fall asleep method - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbmNp1 ... 1RDCE#t=69 ...

But apart from that, what I find most useful for falling asleep fast is to formally conclude my day. I check off my to-do list, make a plan for tomorrow, prepare menu and food for tomorrow, clothes, shoes, and bag.
binocular

Postby Zentruckdriver » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 am

In general I sleep very well,years of working odd hours have conditioned me to
sleep on demand if you like.

If I do find that going to sleep is elusive then counting down from 100 works for me,
sometimes I have to repeat the countdown but I never remember what number I get
to the second time.

I have no meditation training but hope to explore the subject one day soon.

Kind Regards
Paul
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
Zentruckdriver

Postby dxm_dxm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:13 am

You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted
dxm_dxm

Postby seeker242 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Basic yoga is great for this. :smile: The stretching activity has a relaxing effect on the muscles, especially the larger muscle groups of the legs. Combined with gentle attention on breathing while doing the postures, good to do before bed. :anjali:
seeker242

Postby appicchato » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 pm

dxm_dxm wrote:You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted

SMH...
appicchato

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:58 pm

dxm_dxm wrote:You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted

:jawdrop:

I think you may need to review your knowledge on this subject because to be honest (forgive my bluntness) the content of your post, is totally risible..... :jumping:

It is so flawed, it is impossible to know where to start.... :jedi:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:58 pm

seeker242 wrote:Basic yoga is great for this. :smile: The stretching activity has a relaxing effect on the muscles, especially the larger muscle groups of the legs. Combined with gentle attention on breathing while doing the postures, good to do before bed. :anjali:

I've always found that yoga before bed wakes me up, and makes it harder to fall asleep. :shrug:

:anjali:
Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby purple planet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:24 pm

You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted

i got it actually - its :goodpost: and what i thought .... you meditate without trying to fall asleep ... and you fall asleep and if you dont... jhana is not such a bad thing either - and it was interesting about the lotus i thought its for back pain (which clearly does the opposite to most people that try it :lol: )
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma