Why every small moment of mindfulness counts?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Why every small moment of mindfulness counts?

Postby purple planet » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:52 pm

i asked this many times - but would love to have it summed up in one thread cause im still not convinced fully

of course continues mindfulness is best - but how important is each small moment even in separation to others ?

so would like people here to post : dhamma talks - suttas - any link seen fit- there own explanations on why every moment counts , or how much it counts

(dont get cought on me saying mindfulness - i mean a moment with right mindfulness and all the eight fold path)

this is different than other threads i made because im not asking if its true - i assume its true - i just want to gather as much "evidence" to prove to myself its true - thats why the more links the more quotes the more claims for momentary mindfulness the better
Last edited by purple planet on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Re: Why every small moment of mindfulness counts

Postby Chi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 am

To use an example loosely from Goenkaji:
If you want to fill a jar with water, every drop of water counts, no?

If you want to chop down a tree, every strike against the trunk helps you toward your goal.

I know U Pandita Sayadaw often in his Dhamma talks reminds yogis not to underestimate the power of a single moment of mindfulness. The words of a 90-something year old Vipassana master are worth listening to.

But instead of thinking about why the Dhamma is the way it is, it is best to just test it out for yourself. If you know continuous mindfulness is best, then it should follow that a moment of mindfulness is better than a moment of mindlessness. If you goal is to be awake, then one moment of being awake is better than one moment of dreaming, no?

Just some random thoughts.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Chi

Postby purple planet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 am

Thats good posting :goodpost:

i will add a reply i got about this from before to add to whatever people will post next

The Buddha actually speaks of the value of momentary practice in a few suttas as well:

SN 20.4

SN 20.4: Okkha Sutta wrote:Monks, if someone were to give a gift of one hundred serving dishes [of food] in the morning, one hundred at mid-day, and one hundred in the evening; and another person were to develop a mind of good-will — even for the time it takes to pull on a cow's udder — in the morning, again at mid-day, and again in the evening, this [the second action] would be more fruitful than that [the first].

AN 9.20

AN 9.20: Velāma Sutta wrote:If one were to develop even for just a finger-snap the perception of inconstancy, that would be more fruitful than the gift, the great gift, that Velāma the brahman gave ...

but of course the more on this subject the better - cause if i can really believe this - than no need for motivation - and my practice will soar rapidly
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Postby santa100 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:32 am

Imagine a soldier on guard to protect a fortress from terrible enemies. If he dozes off for some brief moments, the enemy can sneak in and destroy the fortress. Just like that, Mara would seize every opportunity to attack, especially when one is not mindful. There're many instances in the suttas that describe the encounter between Mara and the Buddha's noble disciples. While these could be interpreted literally, we could also treat them as instances where the disciples while cultivating toward the path of complete perfect mindfulness, have to fight their own defilements that creep up from time to time. And with right mindfulness, they were able to defeat "Mara" and came out victorious at the end..
santa100

Postby seeker242 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:39 am

Why every small moment of mindfulness counts

Because it only take a single moment, perhaps only a matter of seconds, to do something unskillful.
seeker242

Postby SarathW » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:52 am

Say you install a set of new tyres to your car.
First day you come back from work and examine your car tyres and found that they appear still new.
But you know that it is impossible for the naked eye to detect the effect of ware and tare of the first day of travel.

The same way even a small moment of mindfulness will have an effect on shaking your defilements.
:)
SarathW

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:06 am

It's a way of life, not an added extra.

It's like asking if every breath counts, sure you could hold your breath but why would you want to, don't breath for long enough and you'll die.

So yes every moment of absent mindedness counts towards a life of non awareness.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Re: Why every small moment of mindfulness counts?

Postby binocular » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 am

purple planet wrote:of course continues mindfulness is best - but how important is each small moment even in separation to others ?

Just imagine the consequences of falling asleep at the wheel even just for a second - while driving on the highway at 130km/h.
Or imagine carrying a big, heavy box down the steps, and, just for a moment, not paying careful attention to where you put your foot.

You've probably seen what happens when people do such things, or have some first-hand experience of it yourself.

If usually, one's life is relatively comfortable and safe, one may have the tendency to not think much about the importance of every moment and every action one does.

Imagine, on the other hand, being a member of a gang, or a deer living out in the wilderness: one has to be alert all 60 seconds of every minute of every hour, 24/7.

Karma operates 60 seconds of each of the 60 minutes of every hour, 24/7. Which is why and how every moment matters.

EDITED because a minute has 60 seconds and an hour has 60 minutes.
Last edited by binocular on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
binocular

Postby Sam Vara » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Karma operates 60 seconds of every hour, 24/7. Which is why and how every moment matters.

Lovely thought, binocular. Well said.
Sam Vara

Postby waterchan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Mindfulness is the only enlightenment factor out of seven that can be readily developed regardless of your state of mind.

See SN 46.53 for when it is timely and untimely to develop the other factors.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Postby Pax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Love the analogies, thanks for sharing them! Many times if I don't have enough time to focus on mindfulness for 20-30 minutes I'll skip it, time to rethink that.
Pax

Return to Open Dhamma