Dave Buddha and Me.

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
Zentruckdriver
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Dave Buddha and Me.

Postby Zentruckdriver » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 am

This is a story I wrote after my friend big Dave died. Myself and the Buddha
he gave me are still together after many years and miles.

I hope you enjoy it and that it may help explain my username.
Regards Paul.

Me and big Dave are in the pub, Im going back he says, going back? what about the plan? I reply.
Its only for a month he tells me, I laugh and tell him I have created a monster. We have returned to the U.K. only a few weeks ago, after spending three months in Thailand and he is hooked. The plan will always be the plan he tells me,just delayed by one month.

This would,nt have anything to do with a certain young lady would it? I inquire as I sip my beer, it could well be connected says big Dave as he rests his big folded arms on his big belly and leans back in his chair. So,What do you want me to bring you back? he asks,

I tease him and say that if he has a certain young lady in his suitcase,that its going to have to be something small. What about one of them little Buddhas you like so much? Im surprised but I do a good job of not showing it.Its true I do want one to keep in the truck,but buying one for yourself is a bit like eating chocolate with the wrapper on. So I nod and say, whatever you think Dave a little Buddha will do just fine.

Fast forward five weeks and Im in Holland I know big Dave is back because he sent me a text,it said, Im back. Im on my way back to the U.K. the traffic sucks, the weather is bad and my thoughts are dark.Deep inside I feel something is wrong but I push the thought away and decide to phone big Dave. It is friday afternoon.

The phone call lasts one hour and big Daves spirits are high, after the phone call ends I find that my mood has improved also. I have promised to text him when Im back in the U.K. on saturday and he has told me that he may drive down and we can have a beer and run over the details of the plan. I send big Dave the promised text,it is saturday afternoon.

Saturday evening is a quiet time for me, in order for me to reach the required amount of funding to ensure the success of the plan, I cook myself a meal and settle down with a glass of wine and watch the telly.My eyes feel heavy and I decide to go to bed,the comfort of the bunk and the warmth of the cab, combined with the wine soon have me asleep.
Its dark and quiet, and already its sunday.

My phone is insisting I wake up, its light outside and I guess it must be sunday morning, I check the screen of my phone and see that big Chris is calling me, he is big Daves brother in law. Hello I say and big Chris returns my greeting and then falls silent, is something wrong Chris? I ask, its bad news, little Jug he says, big dave died on friday night,I then hear him sobbing on the other end of the line, and my heart pounds in my ears and my world shrinks to a tiny patch of carpet on the cab floor,that is slowly growing darker with the stains of my tears.
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.

Dan74
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Dave Buddha and Me.

Postby Dan74 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 am

Thank you, Paul.
_/|\_

cooran
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby cooran » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:44 am

Hello ZTD,

Thank-you for telling us about your experience. :group:

There is a saying "Good health is simply the slowest way a person can die".

In reality, though we think we have decades to live, none of us can know if we will live out the next hour.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Zentruckdriver
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Zentruckdriver » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks for going easy on me and the kind words.
As Im sure you can imagine being in the ruffy tuffy
world of truck driving displays of emotion are rare.
Unless you count anger of course there is a lot of that.

With regards to the Buddha Dave gave to me I found a companion
for him a few years ago a neighbour was burning some rubbish and I was
talking to him like guys do when there is a fire on the go.

He was just about to throw a plastic bag on the fire (not very green I know but
he didnt get the memo.)...when I stopped him and checked inside at the bottom
of the bag was a little gold Buddha a different pose than my own but almost a twin.

He goes everywhere as well now,we are quite a unit.

Its a lot of little things that have happened over the years and I have a feeling if I
listened better I have a chance of a glimpse of something.

Kind Regards Paul.
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.

lyndon taylor
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:01 am

My heartfelt condolences, I should mention, though, that I don't like to see Buddhism, drinking and truck driving mentioned together!

(One of these three things doesn't go with the other two!!)
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks ZTD,
Interesting to read, and reflect upon.
:anjali:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

Return to “Open Dhamma”