To euthanize my dog ?

Where members are free to take ideas from the Theravāda Canon out of the Theravāda framework. Here you can question rebirth, kamma (and other contentious issues) as well as examine Theravāda's connection to other paths
purple planet

To euthanize my dog ?

Postby purple planet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:15 pm

I have a very old dog (at least 16) i tryed to take care of her the best i can - but now she barley walks - she probably got a head tumor so shes leaning to the right all the time so i constantly in trips every 2 seconds need to pull her to the left so she can walk straight - the last month almost everyday someone has to say something like "poor dog" or plain simple tell me i should euthanize her

no doubt if i do it i have lots of greed and aversion - but there is also an element to do it for my dogs sake -

now i know Buddhism is against euthanasia like i was told by a monk and read on the web also - but what is the meaning of it - all that it can affect if i do it is myself is that it will cause myself bad kamma - but if thats it i can deal with it (especially with all the free meditation time i will get) i mean i killed a bilion bugs in my life and done other bad stuff - i dont think that to add euthanasia would be that harmful - especially if all the bad in this scenario happens to me
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: To euthanize my dog ?

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:55 pm

There have been several other threads about euthanasia which you can see some varying views on the subject. You can do a google search this way:

site:dhammawheel.com euthanasia

Here is an article Ven. Dhammika wrote with some added comments by me. See the Channovada Sutta section.

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Euthanasia

culaavuso

Re: To euthanize my dog ?

Postby culaavuso » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:38 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Here is an article Ven. Dhammika wrote with some added comments by me.

There appears to be even more on this topic on Ven. Dhammika's blog:

Euthanasia I
Euthanasia II
Euthanasia III
Euthanasia IV
Comments on Euthanasia

For a different take on the issue:

Getting the Message by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Return to “Fringe Theravāda Discussion”