To euthanize my dog ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
purple planet
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

To euthanize my dog ?

Postby purple planet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:15 pm

I have a very old dog (at least 16) i tryed to take care of her the best i can - but now she barley walks - she probably got a head tumor so shes leaning to the right all the time so i constantly in trips every 2 seconds need to pull her to the left so she can walk straight - the last month almost everyday someone has to say something like "poor dog" or plain simple tell me i should euthanize her

no doubt if i do it i have lots of greed and aversion - but there is also an element to do it for my dogs sake -

now i know Buddhism is against euthanasia like i was told by a monk and read on the web also - but what is the meaning of it - all that it can affect if i do it is myself is that it will cause myself bad kamma - but if thats it i can deal with it (especially with all the free meditation time i will get) i mean i killed a bilion bugs in my life and done other bad stuff - i dont think that to add euthanasia would be that harmful - especially if all the bad in this scenario happens to me
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: To euthanize my dog ?

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:55 pm

There have been several other threads about euthanasia which you can see some varying views on the subject. You can do a google search this way:

site:dhammawheel.com euthanasia

Here is an article Ven. Dhammika wrote with some added comments by me. See the Channovada Sutta section.

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Euthanasia

culaavuso
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: To euthanize my dog ?

Postby culaavuso » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:38 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Here is an article Ven. Dhammika wrote with some added comments by me.

There appears to be even more on this topic on Ven. Dhammika's blog:

Euthanasia I
Euthanasia II
Euthanasia III
Euthanasia IV
Comments on Euthanasia

For a different take on the issue:

Getting the Message by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Return to “Open Dhamma”