Chanting for my dying dog

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Chanting for my dying dog

Postby purple planet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm

not sure if i will euthanize my dog or wait until she dies naturally - but in both cases i would like to do some chanting
i was told by one teacher to just "teach" dhamma like say the 4 noble truths ect ... problem is i myself am not sure about what are the 4 noble truths and all other dhamma ! another teacher told me to chant "Itipiso" -
does someone have a link to the "full" chant and its translation -

what do you think is the best chant to read ?
my dog dosnt hear good - so should i chant really loud ?
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Re: Chanting for my dying dog

Postby daverupa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Why not sit with the dog in the sun with a drink for both of you, while you review the Dhamma you have learned for yourself in a calm voice? Stay in physical contact with them for a time. If you hug them, as a habit, they can feel you speaking even if they can't hear it, which can comfort some animals.

I think these sorts of things may be helpful for both beings. Chanting really loudly, maybe less so.

It's a difficult spot. I've only ever had pets die while as a child, and my parents took them to the veterinarian for euthanasia. I have avoided having pets since living on my own, partly due to this sort of thing.

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby purple planet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 pm

also on top of my previous questions : does a recording of buddhist monks chanting have the same effect ? does it have an effect ?
purple planet

Postby Strive4Karuna » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:38 pm

good job. All sentient beings a like love the dhamma. There is this story about a monk I met at Plum village in France. Back in Vietnam, I think it was his sister or someone that got possessed by a spirit. Anyways, the monk was contacted to help deal with the situation. After talking to the spirit over the phone, the spirit pretty much said that spirits love to hear the name of the Buddha because it brings them peace.

Anyways chant away, :thumbsup:
Strive4Karuna

Postby Strive4Karuna » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 pm

purple planet wrote:not sure if i will euthanize my dog or wait until she dies naturally - but in both cases i would like to do some chanting
i was told by one teacher to just "teach" dhamma like say the 4 noble truths ect ... problem is i myself am not sure about what are the 4 noble truths and all other dhamma ! another teacher told me to chant "Itipiso" -
does someone have a link to the "full" chant and its translation -

what do you think is the best chant to read ?
my dog dosnt hear good - so should i chant really loud ?

We speak in energy which overcomes the language barrier we create between humans,animals, spirits w.e. If you chant with love, your dog will feel it. Words are just words. Your dog will have no clue what the words mean, but she should be able to feel it if your intentions are true and loving.
Strive4Karuna

Postby purple planet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:11 pm

one source i read said that we dont need to speak - it was called there "non-intellectual understanding" and of course a dog dosnt speak english anyway - but another place said that it must be spoken cause its "hearing dhamma" (unlike thinking dhamma)
purple planet

Postby Digger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Consider wisely if loud chanting would startle, confuse or upset your dog.

When my previous dog was dying, my vet told me to give him anything he wants. We ate chicken and ice cream together.
He is different. He thinks.
Digger

Return to Open Dhamma