Tolerance versus hiding your head in the sand

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Prasadachitta

Tolerance versus hiding your head in the sand

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi all,

I thought I would start this thread to address some things I was trying to discuss in the closed thread. There are some teachings within religious tradition which seem to me are clearly causing the world a great deal of strife.

1)Telling people they will burn in eternal hell fire for not engaging in certain rights and rituals.

2)Teaching people that the ethnicity one is born into can make you so impure that to even touch you brings evil and curses on you and your family

3)Teaching that acts of murderous aggression in the name of a creator god can bring you eternal happiness

I think there are many more but these three alone are prominent enough to have direct and detrimental influence on the daily lives of hundreds of millions if not billions of people.

I think if we pay attention with kindness we can not but feel that it is critically important to look for any effective opportunity to lessen peoples confidence in such beliefs. Is it really all that appropriate to simply say that such and such religion is just different than your own not better or worse when there are teachings which seem so obviously not in peoples best interest?

HMMMM?

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Cittasanto

Re: Tolerance versus hiding your head in the sand

Post by Cittasanto »

There is tollerance and then there is not trying to understand where the beliefs come from and how they are held and what can be done so that these beliefs don't inpact negatively on anyone.

as in all likelihood no-one who holds such beliefs will be members here how would discussing and speculating help?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Is there a "here we go again" smiley?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Simply put, tolerance means being tolerant of something. It doesn't necessarily mean liking it, or even accepting it... merely that you tolerate it, you put up with it, you endure it... you allow it to be. Tolerance is good practice... only when you're not wanting to change things are you content with how things are.

:meditate:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:...only when you're not wanting to change things are you content with how things are.
:thumbsup:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote: Simply put, tolerance means being tolerant of something. It doesn't necessarily mean liking it, or even accepting it... merely that you tolerate it, you put up with it, you endure it... you allow it to be. Tolerance is good practice... only when you're not wanting to change things are you content with how things are.
Actually, we human tolerate a lot things we do not like so much but have no choice in the matter as to whatever-it-might-be's existence. Can't do anything about it, so we tolerate it, though we might complain a bit. Sometime we should not be content with how this are. There are things that should not be tolerated.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Is there a "here we go again" smiley?
Actualy, see what you can do with your copy machine and I am sure one of the computer wizards here can turn it into a smilie type thingie for us to use with just with your face rather than one of those annoying (but having no choice I have tolerate them) stupid yellow things we see on the right side of the screen that people put into their msgs thinking it all so clever of them to use.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

tiltbillings wrote:Sometime we should not be content with how this are. There are things that should not be tolerated.
:stirthepot:

:computerproblem:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

appicchato wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Sometime we should not be content with how this are. There are things that should not be tolerated.
:stirthepot:

:computerproblem:
Like dukkha.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,
By what criteria would these be determined?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tilt,
By what criteria would these be determined?
Damdifino. We some time tolerate a racist joke told in a group of people, but should we? Probably depends upon the context. You know the expression Jim Crow Laws? This is something from US history. Whites only laws found in the South. Eventually enough people found them intolerable, found the strength to speak out against them.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:Actualy, see what you can do with your copy machine and I am sure one of the computer wizards here can turn it into a smilie type thingie for us to use with just with your face rather than one of those annoying (but having no choice I have tolerate them) stupid yellow things we see on the right side of the screen that people put into their msgs thinking it all so clever of them to use.
Go easy mate! My young son visits these forums and he just loves those smileys so much that I have to restrain him from inserting more than one per line. Having said that, I am no fan of the little horrors (smileys, NOT eight year olds!).
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kannada

Post by kannada »

gabrielbranbury wrote:Hi all,

I thought I would start this thread to address some things I was trying to discuss in the closed thread. There are some teachings within religious tradition which seem to me are clearly causing the world a great deal of strife.

1)Telling people they will burn in eternal hell fire for not engaging in certain rights and rituals.

2)Teaching people that the ethnicity one is born into can make you so impure that to even touch you brings evil and curses on you and your family

3)Teaching that acts of murderous aggression in the name of a creator god can bring you eternal happiness

I think there are many more but these three alone are prominent enough to have direct and detrimental influence on the daily lives of hundreds of millions if not billions of people.

I think if we pay attention with kindness we can not but feel that it is critically important to look for any effective opportunity to lessen peoples confidence in such beliefs. Is it really all that appropriate to simply say that such and such religion is just different than your own not better or worse when there are teachings which seem so obviously not in peoples best interest?

HMMMM?

Gabe
Hi Gabe,

I think we'd just end up being intolerant of intolerance...

All the best

k
Just a view - nothing more...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

A Mawkish1983 smilie would be great. Eight year olds using smilies is a thing of goodness.

:hug: :jumping: :popcorn: :reading: :zzz: :soap: :smile: :shrug: :toast: :bow: :clap: :rolleye: :cry: :console: :guns: :hello: :jedi: :pig: :thumbsup: :namaste: :meditate: :rofl: :tantrum: :) :D :yingyang: :twothumbsup: :thanks: :thinking: :tongue: :anjali: :buddha1: :coffee: :cookoo: :group: :quote: :heart: :spy: :jawdrop: :toilet: :sage: :namaste: :thumbsup: :pig: :rofl: :tantrum: :) :D :yingyang: :twothumbsup: :thanks: ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :evil: :weep: :embarassed: :P :x :lol: :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :roll: :twisted: :goodpost: :oops: :offtopic: :focus: :ban: :computerproblem: :rules: :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :| :broke:
Now, I got that out of my system, I feel better.

christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

LOL, i wonder how our communication might go if we were restricted only to the single original smiley...

:smile:

Concerning tolerance, isnt the essential distinction internal, not external? We do indeed need to speak up about racism, militarism, xenophobia, religious violence and all the other crazy things humans do...

But how are you feeling about that, how are you thinking about it? If you find yourself constantly spinning thoughts and emotions related to these crazy things, the dukkha of others, that dukkha now becomes your dukkha as well.

Wise compassionate action without attachment or aversion, while difficult, seems optimal.

:namaste:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009