Watching videos of good acts = merit ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Watching videos of good acts = merit ?

Postby purple planet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:13 pm

I read somewhere that if you see a good will act - of kindness and you rejoice in it its like you share the merit of that good deed - fully or partly

so if i watch in youtube those videos that show when you search "random acts of kindness" im creating some good kamma /merit for myself ?

and a nice video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5uay7ZZ_8 not connected to the question directly
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Re: Watching videos of good acts = merit ?

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:56 am

I'm sure it makes merit, but I'm sure also that it makes less merit than actually getting out and doing good things.
As someone has said, "Clicking 'Like' on FB doesn't make the world a better place." (There's actually a new word for people who do this and nothing more - slactivists. Great word, not-so-great trend.)
The same applies to watching a video.

:juggling:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:54 am

Nice video. Watching something like that can evoke mudita, which is certainly wholesome. Even better would be if it inspires one to be generous, as Kim noted.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby santa100 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:24 pm

purple planet wrote:I read somewhere that if you see a good will act - of kindness and you rejoice in it its like you share the merit of that good deed - fully or partly

so if i watch in youtube those videos that show when you search "random acts of kindness" im creating some good kamma /merit for myself ?

By rejoicing in others' kindness, one's immediately generated merits of joy and the peace for oneself in the here and now. One in turn can spread joy and peace to others by sharing the videos to friends and families. You'll never know if a seemingly small act of kindness can trigger a whole cascading reaction that could change the heart and mind for the better of many others..
Dhp 121-122 wrote:Don't underestimate evil
('It won't amount to much').
A water jar fills,
even with water
falling in drops.
With evil — even if
bit
by
bit,
habitually —
the fool fills himself full.

Don't underestimate merit
('It won't amount to much').
A water jar fills,
even with water
falling in drops.
With merit — even if
bit
by
bit,
habitually —
the enlightened one fills himself full.
santa100

Postby daverupa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:24 pm

While I think the whole thing is encompassed within a number of pious layers, AN 9.20 nevertheless offers an indication that there is a spectrum of wholesome development; it seems to me that watching videos is going to be fairly far down the list, though present.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby binocular » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am

purple planet wrote:I read somewhere that if you see a good will act - of kindness and you rejoice in it its like you share the merit of that good deed - fully or partly

I used to watch a lot of inspiring videos, read inspiring texts, etc. but over time came down with apathy. At first, I couldn't understand whence that apathy.
Then I have found that it is easier, more prosperous and more uplifting to do good things myself than to merely watch other people do good things.

Like someone remarked once: “Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's a day you've had everything to do and you've done it.”
binocular

Return to Open Dhamma