How did you learn to chant...?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

How did you learn to chant...?

Postby Myotai » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Just curious, I struggle to remember the Pali myself.

Did you have a strategy to learn?

Tony...
Myotai

Re: How did you learn to chant...?

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:15 pm

I learnt during my time in the monastery, but daily practice is a must to remember them.
Start with the text and an audio recording is good (plus you can slow down the recording if you find the chant is too fast for keeping up :) )
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Coyote » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 pm

I write the chant out and chant it every day. I can say my daily chants (pretty much) from memory now, even when I haven't chanted in a while. Though sometimes I look at the text.
I find learning the meaning helpful in remembering also, and it is good for contemplation.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Myotai » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks...I did think about writing it down...
Myotai

Return to Open Dhamma