Every time we are mindful ofa defilement it becomes weaker ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Every time we are mindful ofa defilement it becomes weak

Postby pegembara » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:05 am

Every time we are mindful of a negative state eg. anger and learn not to feed it, it weakens which is part of right effort.

Code: Select all
“Emotion only lasts in our bodies for about 90 seconds. After that, the physical reaction dissipates, UNLESS our cognitive brain kicks in and starts connecting our anger with past events.”  -Jill Bolte Taylor [This can be around any emotion. So what she is saying is your emotion of anger...can only last for 90 seconds and then its gone UNLESS we re-trigger it by thinking about things or events over and over]

"There are these three kinds of feeling: a pleasant feeling, a painful feeling, and neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. On the occasion when one feels a pleasant feeling, one does not feel either a painful feeling or a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. One feels only a pleasant feeling on that occasion. On the occasion when one feels a painful feeling, one does not feel either a pleasant feeling or a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. One feels only a painful feeling on that occasion. On the occasion when one feels a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling, one does not feel either a pleasant feeling or a painful feeling. One feels only a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling on that occasion.

"A pleasant feeling is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing. A painful feeling is also inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing. A neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling is also inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing.

"Seeing this, an instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with pleasant feeling, disenchanted with painful feeling, disenchanted with neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. Disenchanted, he grows dispassionate. From dispassion, he is released. With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
pegembara

Postby Alex123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 am

purple planet wrote:I have read somewhere some time ago that every time we are mindful of a defilement it becomes weaker - for example if i am mindful of me being angry - next time i will get angry i would be a little less angry -

There is difference between being aware and being mindful in Dhamma way.

Simply being aware will do nothing. You need to remember anicca, asubha, dukkha, anatta, etc., and contemplate the arisen state. Also you may need to forcefully do something, like divert attention and focus on metta, asubha, whatever.
I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care."
Alex123

Postby Crazy cloud » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:40 pm

fivebells wrote:
purple planet wrote:I have read somewhere some time ago that every time we are mindful of a defilement it becomes weaker

No, it's a pernicious but unfortunately common view. Don't fall for it, it cost me years.

There is no magic trick which will unbind you from the drivers of your defilements. Maybe there is further along the path than I am, but for me it is work which requires ingenuity and careful observation of cause and effect.

I "look" at my defilements, and if the looking isn't enough, I try to ask my heart a couple of questions - it works fine here, and have been doing it for years. Dont act, dont look away, look straight at it, and get the sense of what the feeling of "impermanence" is like in your mind and body when the defilement desintegrates into thin air

be well and happy :)
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby fivebells » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 pm

It's great that that's working for you, Crazy Cloud. It's a good example of the measures which are needed beyond mindfulness.
fivebells

Postby SarathW » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:24 am

purple planet wrote:I have read somewhere some time ago that every time we are mindful of a defilement it becomes weaker - for example if i am mindful of me being angry - next time i will get angry i would be a little less angry -

thoughts ? true ? false ? maybe i got it a bit wrong - maybe its correct if i will construct the sentence differently ?

Yes if you have the right mindfulness (Samma Sati)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el019.html
SarathW

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma