What you think about this way of doing metta?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

What you think about this way of doing metta?

Postby purple planet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:30 pm

What do you think about doing metta this way :

may everyone (myself included) here/in this neighborhood/city/state/world be healthy/safe/happy/ ect
may everyone (myself included) here/in this neighborhood/city/state/world be free from mental and physical suffering

The part of the metta im asking about is the sending metta on the start to myself included in a group of beings in comparison to sending metta first to myself than to others

because usually they say its best to start with yourself than move to others - but this method seems like a good way to do metta
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Re: What you think about this way of doing metta?

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:25 pm

I say an all encompassing Metta at the end of my sits, or if I'm just walking around I'll sometimes do it. For all beings I do

May all beings,
Be well, happy, and peaceful,
Free from enmity, and free from suffering,
Whatever goodness I have done,
May this goodness be shared,
With all beings, in all spheres, and all directions,
Unlimited, and without conditions.

When I'm doing seated Metta, I do it for individuals starting with myself, and I say

May () be filled with loving kindness,
May () be well,
May () be peaceful, and at ease,
May () be happy,
I accept () as () are/is, and I offer () my friendship.

I've had more success with this, as opposed to doing an all encompassing Metta while sitting.

:anjali:
Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby bodom » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

If it works for you then continue on. I don't do a lot of "formal" metta meditation practice but see it more as an attitude to be kept in mind at all all times and carried in to all my activities and dealings with others.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby jungblood » Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 am

I tend to agree with the 'whatever works for you' approach... At times I will carry a small digital tally counter in my hand, and I silently wish joy, love and freedom from suffering to each person I see as I'm walking about the street... doing this, it's easy to generate metta for one hundred or more people in a day (I live in New York), and it's also an easy way to remain present and mindful, rather than getting lost in thoughts... I know several people who've adopted similar practices and it can be quite powerful ...

many bows,
Lucas
'Renunciation' http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... bl036.html
'Trading candy for gold': http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... candy.html

'The more we really know the Dhamma, the more we can let go. Those who know a little can let go of a little; those who know a lot can let go of a lot.' - Ajaan Lee
jungblood

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 am

purple planet wrote:because usually they say its best to start with yourself than move to others - but this method seems like a good way to do metta

I would say do what works best for you. Though I do find it easier to feel metta towards others when I feel it for myself.
Mrs. Bun: Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress: Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Spiny Norman

Postby cooran » Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 am

This might be of benefit:
Buddhanet's Loving Kindness Meditation section
http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to Open Dhamma