Buddha's Method of Discourse

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
Unrul3r
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Buddha's Method of Discourse

Postby Unrul3r » Thu May 01, 2014 10:21 am

Hello Dhamma Wheelers,

Does anyone know where I could find more information on the Buddha's method of discourse with four stages (sandasseti, samādapeti, samuttejeti, sampahaṃseti)? It is referred many times in the discourses and I'd like to know if there is any available elaboration on this. I found the quote below but I'm wondering if there is more.

A History of Buddhist Philosophy by David Kalupahana wrote:We often find references to four stages in which the Buddha would initiate and conclude a discourse. The first stage is represented as “pointing out” (sandasseti), that is, indicating the problem. If it was in reference toan individual, the Buddha would explain that person’s present situation. If it concerned an event, thing, or phenomenon, the Buddha would explain the problem as it existed. During the second stage, the Buddha would attempt to create some “agitation” (samuttejeti) by emphasizing the non-substantiality of the individual, event, thing, or phenomenon. This is the process of deconstruction, intended to avoid any ontological commitment. If the discourse is concluded at this point, the person to whom it is addressed will be left in a state of anxiety. During the third stage, the agitation is immediately appeased (sampahamseti) by pointing to a way out of the problem. This is the process of reconstruction or redefinition, which is achieved through the positive doctrine of dependent arising explaining the subject, the object, and morality and freedom. In doing so, the Buddha recognized the capacity of language to communicate the content of human experience, whether that relates to facts or values. In the final stage, the Buddha makes no effort to convert the hearer to his way of thinking, for the hearer tends to accept his explanation without much ado (samadapesi).

Edit: Also found a bit here.

With metta.
:anjali:

Return to “Open Dhamma”