What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present life?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present life?

Postby zamotcr » Wed May 28, 2014 3:40 pm

I was wondering for quite some time, if Buddhism is incompatible with some practices or philosphy behind Tai-Chi.

In specific, I know that Buddha didn't taught about Chi, or energy, and such stuffs, but does that prevents someone of feeling it or believing on it? I know that chi or stuffs like that does not liberate us, but perhaps can make our present life more comfortable.

What do you think? Let's make this topic wide, not only relating to chi, but other stuffs that can help our present life, but perhaps will not make us near Nirvana, but will not interfere with our goal :anjali:
zamotcr
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:11 am

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed May 28, 2014 4:09 pm

The Buddha Taught us all we need.

Everything else is what we'd like, but none of it can improve on the Buddha's teachings.
They might confirm, endorse or support it.
But they're not necessary. They're just popular.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby zamotcr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:11 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:The Buddha Taught us all we need.

Everything else is what we'd like, but none of it can improve on the Buddha's teachings.
They might confirm, endorse or support it.
But they're not necessary. They're just popular.


I wasn't talking about improving Buddha's teachings.

For example, Buddha didn't taught science or medicine, but that does not make science untrue or false, nor that prevent Buddhist to use medicine or science. That was my point.

What do people do to enhance their lives? Some people have some beliefs like chi that could enhance their way of living.
zamotcr
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:11 am

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 pm

1. Exercise
2. Nutrition

The Buddha said: ‘Good health is the highest gain’ (Dhp.204) and he encouraged monks and nuns to do exercise as a way of promoting vigour and health (Vin.II,119). However, he did not emphasize nor discuss any further the value of exercise. He also did not talk much about nutrition, except perhaps some indirect ways; for example not eating the evening meal for health purposes and suggesting some foods in the Vinaya for cures to some sicknesses.

And we know that both exercise and nutrition are very helpful to good health, longevity and even to stay alert for mindfulness and meditation.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8111
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby zamotcr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:17 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:1. Exercise
2. Nutrition

The Buddha said: ‘Good health is the highest gain’ (Dhp.204) and he encouraged monks and nuns to do exercise as a way of promoting vigour and health (Vin.II,119). However, he did not emphasize nor discuss any further the value of exercise. He also did not talk much about nutrition, except perhaps some indirect ways; for example not eating the evening meal for health purposes and suggesting some foods in the Vinaya for cures to some sicknesses.

And we know that both exercise and nutrition are very helpful to good health, longevity and even to stay alert for mindfulness and meditation.


Thanks David! May I know what do you think about the philosophical aspects of practices like Taichi? Are they against Buddha's teaching?
zamotcr
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:11 am

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed May 28, 2014 4:19 pm

zamotcr wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:The Buddha Taught us all we need.

Everything else is what we'd like, but none of it can improve on the Buddha's teachings.
They might confirm, endorse or support it.
But they're not necessary. They're just popular.


I wasn't talking about improving Buddha's teachings.

For example, Buddha didn't taught science or medicine, but that does not make science untrue or false, nor that prevent Buddhist to use medicine or science. That was my point.

What do people do to enhance their lives? Some people have some beliefs like chi that could enhance their way of living.


No, they are not against the Buddha's teachings:
I teach Qi Gung and Zham Zhong. I am acutely and sensitively very aware of Qi....
I use them as "icing on the cake".
But I know I can very well do without them if I choose.

Enhancing one's way of living is embelishment.

I would say that following the Buddha to me, saved my life.
to me, it is an essential, which is why anything else is merely decoration...
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 28, 2014 4:25 pm

zamotcr wrote:Thanks David! May I know what do you think about the philosophical aspects of practices like Taichi? Are they against Buddha's teaching?


I think it is good too. Tai chi can be a movement meditation. In the Satipatthana Sutta the Buddha described other meditation positions (standing, sitting, walking, lying down); so sitting is not the only way to meditate. And then it is good for exercise too.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8111
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby zamotcr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:39 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:
zamotcr wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:The Buddha Taught us all we need.

Everything else is what we'd like, but none of it can improve on the Buddha's teachings.
They might confirm, endorse or support it.
But they're not necessary. They're just popular.


I wasn't talking about improving Buddha's teachings.

For example, Buddha didn't taught science or medicine, but that does not make science untrue or false, nor that prevent Buddhist to use medicine or science. That was my point.

What do people do to enhance their lives? Some people have some beliefs like chi that could enhance their way of living.


No, they are not against the Buddha's teachings:
I teach Qi Gung and Zham Zhong. I am acutely and sensitively very aware of Qi....
I use them as "icing on the cake".
But I know I can very well do without them if I choose.

Enhancing one's way of living is embelishment.

I would say that following the Buddha to me, saved my life.
to me, it is an essential, which is why anything else is merely decoration...



Of course are merely decoration that can make us live better. If we are healthier, we can practice Buddha-Dhamma better :anjali:
zamotcr
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:11 am

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 pm

I can stand, motionless for an hour. ('Zham Zhong' - to stand as motionless as a tree.)

http://www.standinglikeatree.co.uk/history.htm

If I do that, the sweat drips off my fingertips.

I haven't done it for a long while, but it's extremely invigorating, and exhausting, at the same time.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby robdog » Wed May 28, 2014 5:41 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I can stand, motionless for an hour. ('Zham Zhong' - to stand as motionless as a tree.)

http://www.standinglikeatree.co.uk/history.htm

If I do that, the sweat drips off my fingertips.

I haven't done it for a long while, but it's extremely invigorating, and exhausting, at the same time.





That's very interesting, thanks for the link :)
User avatar
robdog
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Staffordshire, UK

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed May 28, 2014 5:50 pm

I used to live in Belgium and held weekly classes, which had a good following and attendance.
It was a most enjoyable time, and really very fulfilling....

Such a discipline may very well be beneficial to you.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby zamotcr » Wed May 28, 2014 5:51 pm

For me, my martial arts practice has improved my concentration, my discipline and my Buddhism too :)
zamotcr
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:11 am

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed May 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I originally came to Buddhism via Qi Gong and "The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying" combined... but my Qi Gong Master was Buddhist too, so there was the connection....

Qi Gong did not bring me to Buddhism, my teacher of Qi Gong did....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 28, 2014 7:15 pm

The Buddha encourages King Pasenadi to lose weight!

The King Pasenadi of Kosala dined off a tubful of rice.[1] Then the King, replete and puffing, went to see the Blessed One, saluted him and sat down to one side. And the Blessed One, observing how he was replete and puffing, at once uttered this verse:

Those who always dwell in mindfulness, Observing measure in the food they eat, Find that their discomfort[2] grows the less. Aging gently, life for them is long.

Now just then Prince Sudassana was standing behind the king. And the king said to him:

"Come, my dear Sudassana, learn this verse from the Blessed One and recite it to me when you bring me my dinner, and I will arrange for you to be paid a daily allowance of a hundred pence[3] in perpetuity."

"Very well, Your Majesty," said Sudassana [and did as he was told.]

After that the king made it a rule to eat no more than a quarter of a tubful of rice.[4] Thus it came about that on a later occasion King Pasenadi, his body in good shape, stroked his healthy limbs and fervently exclaimed: "Truly the Blessed One has doubly shown compassion for my welfare, both in this life and in the life to come!"

-SN 3.13


~~~

It's interesting to note that the claim here that eating less leads to a longer life is the same that many scientific experiments on calorie restriction have shown with many species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction
Peace,
James
User avatar
Mkoll
 
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: What Buddha didn't taught that could help our present li

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Wed May 28, 2014 7:21 pm

yeah, rice can be a carbo-bummer....

It's a problem when I love food so much. I eat nothing else!
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....


Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Crazy cloud, James the Giant and 6 guests