Changing Jobs, Need Help. ASAP.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
K.Dhamma

Changing Jobs, Need Help. ASAP.

Post by K.Dhamma »

So, I have been working at group homes for individuals with mental illness and developmental disabilities the last 2-3 years. It has been a wonderful and eye opening experience for me and I don't regret any moment of it. However I recently applied for another job and got the job offer.

The new job is a maintenance job at a local restaurant.

I decided to do this because the stress has become fairly extreme recently and I am starting to have some pretty severe mental health issues regarding the work. (or I at least think it is regarding the work)

I feel like I am going from a job of right livelihood to a job that isn't so much. But on the other hand I can now to go temple and be with friends/family/temple more with the maintenance job.

idk, i'm sorry to burden you all with this because it is my own personal journey. I am just reaching out because even though I love the people I currently care for, I am not sure my emotional health can handle it.

If someone can just give me their opinion or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

I have to go put in my notice at my job today within the next 4 hours and I just want to know that what I am doing is not unskillful I guess.

:thinking:
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
daverupa

Re: Changing Jobs, Need Help. ASAP.

Post by daverupa »

Why are you thinking of the maintenance job as less wholesome, as a less integrous livelihood?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

K.Dhamma wrote: I just want to know that what I am doing is not unskillful I guess.

:thinking:
It doesn't sound unskillful at all. You are looking after your mental well-being, and still managing to financially support yourself, and in a job that is useful. I hope it all goes well for you.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

daverupa wrote:Why are you thinking of the maintenance job as less wholesome, as a less integrous livelihood?
Good question. Especially at a restaurant. It's not like you're maintaining tanks or fighter jets.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

Thank you guys.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Go for the restaurant maintenance job. You need to look after yourself which is your first responsibility.
The restaurant job is not inherently wrong livelihood.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ben wrote:Go for the restaurant maintenance job. You need to look after yourself which is your first responsibility.
The restaurant job is not inherently wrong livelihood.
Kind regards,
Ben
:goodpost:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill