Emptiness - mahayana and theravada

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Emptiness - mahayana and theravada

Post by Ceisiwr »

Is there a doctrinal difference between mahayana and theravada on emptiness? Is emptiness tied in with buddha nature or not?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
stuka

Re: Emptiness - mahayana and theravada

Post by stuka »

clw_uk wrote:Is there a doctrinal difference between mahayana and theravada on emptiness? Is emptiness tied in with buddha nature or not?

Theravada: "Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya": Nothing whatever should be grasped at and clung to as "me" or "mine". The world is real, but we "see it" (experience it) through the distorted lens of our "own eyes".

Mahayana: "Everything is not inherently real". The world is a figment of your imagination.

Theravada does not postulate a "buddha nature".
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings clw_uk,

I find that the following sutta explains the Theravada position well.

SN 12.15 - Kaccayanagotta Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dwelling at Savatthi... Then Ven. Kaccayana Gotta approached the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, 'Right view, right view,' it is said. To what extent is there right view?"

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is in bondage to attachments, clingings (sustenances), & biases. But one such as this does not get involved with or cling to these attachments, clingings, fixations of awareness, biases, or obsessions; nor is he resolved on 'my self.' He has no uncertainty or doubt that just stress, when arising, is arising; stress, when passing away, is passing away. In this, his knowledge is independent of others. It's to this extent, Kaccayana, that there is right view.

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form. From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media. From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.

"Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabrications. From the cessation of fabrications comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering."
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

comming from a zen background, i never saw much of a difference in the two kinds of emptiness, i think internet mahayanists just want to push it to a weird extream to say their emptiness is more empty, but really how does that help anyone? we've still gotta work and live in this world, we cant just lay down on train tracks and think the train wont kill us cause its empty or what not...

i got into this discussion with a kung fu buddhist (yeah) and my posistion was "yeah that chair over there is empty , it doesnt exist as anything other than the coming together of causes and conditions, its an event, and it will be over when the causes and conditions for it's arising are over. but if i pick it up and hit you with it, it wont feel empty will it?"
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Jason

Post by Jason »

clw_uk,
clw_uk wrote:Is there a doctrinal difference between mahayana and theravada on emptiness? Is emptiness tied in with buddha nature or not?
In regard emptiness (adj. sunna, noun sunnata), my personal opinion is that the teachings on emptiness in the Pali Canon are often taken out of context, and coincidentally, far removed from their intended purpose. The view of emptiness that things have no inherent existence, while philosophically complex and seemingly implicit in the teachings on dependent co-arising, actually developed over time (possibly beginning with Nagarjuna, who I believe was attempting to deconstruct all of the prevalent philosophical views of the time by using a combination of logical analysis and slight of hand in order to show how these views were ultmately illogical from the standpoint of emptiness, especially in regard to the Abhidhammika's idea that things exist by way of intrinsic characteristics). As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains, "emptiness is a mode of perception, a way of looking at experience" (Emptiness). Moreover, "... the idea of emptiness as lack of inherent existence has very little to do with what the Buddha himself said about emptiness. His teachings on emptiness — as reported in the earliest Buddhist texts, the Pali Canon — deal directly with actions and their results, with issues of pleasure and pain" (The Integrity of Emptiness). As a doctrinal term, emptiness in and of itself is used in a couple of different but related ways in the Pali Canon. In one context, as Thanissaro notes, emptiness is used as a mode of perception, a way of looking at experience that is utilized in meditation (e.g., MN 121, MN 122). In another context, emptiness refers to the unsubstantiality of the five clinging-aggregates (khandhas) and the six sense media (ayatanas) (e.g., SN 2295, SN 35.85). In this sense, it is synonymous with not-self (anatta).

Jason
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Element

Post by Element »

The impression I gain of Mahayana emptiness is it tends towards nothingness.

I posted a quote from Buddhadasa on the Annihilism thread that makes clear distinctions between emptiness & nothingness.

However, for me, the proof of the pudding is in our application.

In Theravada emptiness, phenomena still exist. If we lose touch with the existence of phenomena, we lose empathy.

Buddha did not deny existence. In fact, Buddha said to deny existence is to not see the arising of things and to hold to existence is to not see the cessation of things.

Thus, to discern to arise & cessation of things (impermanence) is most important.

It is important to balance emptiness & form.

Even the learned Mahayanas say this.
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote: "'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle...
That seems to also be a good summary of the Madhyamaka school of thought of Mahayana as well. :)

I think the main distinction is the mode of explanation. Theravada Buddhists tend to explain emptiness from an internal\subjective perspective, by relating it to the cessation of one's own delusions (deluded projections of a person self). Mahayana Buddhists tend to explain emptiness from an external\objective perspective, by relating it to the knowledge of reality as it is (independent of descriptions of identity). However, at times, I have seen Theravada and Mahayana Buddhists both use the same modes of explanation, so this is only an overall difference and it really depends more on each teacher.

Of course, some Mahayana Buddhists are nihilists certainly, based on a deluded view of emptiness meaning "Everything is nothing," or simply "Everything is an illusion." But on the other hand, some Theravada Buddhists also seem to be realists and materialists -- the traditional Theravadins can be realists by clinging to the Five Aggregates as the fundamental explanation of ultimate reality, and the modern Theravadins can be even be worse, being both realists and materialists, by seeing the Five Aggregates as merely a useful but limited classification while clinging to materialistic western science as an explanation for the way the world really is.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,
the modern Theravadins can be even be worse, being both realists and materialists, by seeing the Five Aggregates as merely a useful but limited classification while clinging to materialistic western science as an explanation for the way the world really is.
Now there's a papanca-laden strawman!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Individual,
the modern Theravadins can be even be worse, being both realists and materialists, by seeing the Five Aggregates as merely a useful but limited classification while clinging to materialistic western science as an explanation for the way the world really is.

Metta,
Maybe, maybe not. I had considered deleting it initially, along with all negative sectarian descriptions, but I thought that some of the meaning might be lost (actually deleting it, then re-typing it). So, I at least put considerable thought into whether that might be papanca or not.

It might be better, though, to just ignore that part, yes. And I hope it doesn't cause anyone to be angry. :smile:

The Diamond Sutra
stuka

Post by stuka »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Individual,

Metta,

NAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH -- you give way too little credit where credit is due -- the above is a veritable Mighty Mother-of-All-Armies of Straw Men!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,

As someone whom you might label a "modern Theravadin", my take on whether things exists is exactly as per SN 12.15 as referred to previously. Anything beyond that (i.e. what science thinks) is likely to get the "leaves on the floor of the simsapa forest" treatment.

Metta,
Individual

Post by Individual »

Also, Retrofuturist: A strawman is when you're in a debate and you attack an argument that your opponent isn't making. In this case, there are no "opponents" here and my statement there was a remark not directly related to what you said, certainly not a direct attack on anything you said or didn't say. I'm not even sure I would consider you a "modern Theravada," Buddhist since, although that generally seemed true for a long time, recently you mentioned that you do have confidence in the possibility of siddhis. So, you seem to be more of a good Theravada Buddhist, who follows "Middle Way" Theravada Buddhism, devoid of unnecessary speculation, unnecessary opposition to speculation, dogmatism, and sectarianism.

The Diamond Sutra
stuka

Post by stuka »

Individual wrote:Also, Retrofuturist: A strawman is when you're in a debate and you attack an argument that your opponent isn't making. In this case, there are no "opponents" here and my statement there was a remark not directly related to what you said, certainly not a direct attack on anything you said or didn't say. I'm not even sure I would consider you a "modern Theravada," Buddhist since, although that generally seemed true for a long time, recently you mentioned that you do have confidence in the possibility of siddhis.
It doesn't matter whether you are in direct debate with another, a strawman is a deliberate misrepresentation by exaggeration.
So, you seem to be more of a good Theravada Buddhist, who follows "Middle Way" Theravada Buddhism, devoid of unnecessary speculation, unnecessary opposition to speculation, dogmatism, and sectarianism.
No True Scot Fallacy: ImageA "Good Theravadan" believes what you want him to believe. I note your continued peurile trolling and making-up as you go along.
stuka

Post by stuka »

Individual wrote:
retrofuturist wrote: "'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle...
That seems to also be a good summary of the Madhyamaka school of thought of Mahayana as well. :)

I think the main distinction is the mode of explanation. Theravada Buddhists tend to explain emptiness from an internal\subjective perspective, by relating it to the cessation of one's own delusions (deluded projections of a person self). Mahayana Buddhists tend to explain emptiness from an external\objective perspective, by relating it to the knowledge of reality as it is (independent of descriptions of identity). However, at times, I have seen Theravada and Mahayana Buddhists both use the same modes of explanation, so this is only an overall difference and it really depends more on each teacher.

Of course, some Mahayana Buddhists are nihilists certainly, based on a deluded view of emptiness meaning "Everything is nothing," or simply "Everything is an illusion." But on the other hand, some Theravada Buddhists also seem to be realists and materialists -- the traditional Theravadins can be realists by clinging to the Five Aggregates as the fundamental explanation of ultimate reality, and the modern Theravadins can be even be worse, being both realists and materialists, by seeing the Five Aggregates as merely a useful but limited classification while clinging to materialistic western science as an explanation for the way the world really is.
Individual.

You are again making up as you go along. Dhamma talks here. Papanca walks.
Last edited by stuka on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

AN 10.58: Mula Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Monks, if those who have gone forth in other sects ask you, 'In what are all phenomena rooted? What is their coming into play? What is their origination? What is their meeting place? What is their presiding state? What is their governing principle? What is their surpassing state? What is their heartwood? Where do they gain a footing? What is their final end?': On being asked this by those who have gone forth in other sects, how would you answer?"

"For us, lord, the teachings have the Blessed One as their root, their guide, & their arbitrator. It would be good if the Blessed One himself would explicate the meaning of this statement. Having heard it from the Blessed One, the monks will remember it."

"In that case, monks, listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "Monks, if those who have gone forth in other sects ask you, 'In what are all phenomena rooted? What is their coming into play? What is their origination? What is their meeting place? What is their presiding state? What is their governing principle? What is their surpassing state? What is their heartwood? Where do they gain a footing? What is their final end?': On being asked this by those who have gone forth in other sects, this is how you should answer them:

"'All phenomena are rooted in desire.

"'All phenomena come into play through attention.

"'All phenomena have contact as their origination.

"'All phenomena have feeling as their meeting place.

"'All phenomena have concentration as their presiding state.

"'All phenomena have mindfulness as their governing principle.

"'All phenomena have discernment as their surpassing state.

"'All phenomena have release as their heartwood.

"'All phenomena gain their footing in the deathless.

"'All phenomena have Unbinding as their final end.'

"On being asked this by those who have gone forth in other sects, this is how you should answer."
Metta,