Challenging the traditional view of Anatta

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Challenging the traditional view of Anatta

Post by tiltbillings »

Just a bit about the above "review."

Take this line from the above "review" -This doctrine is also called by the Greeks Apophasis. - and google it so:
"This doctrine is also called by the Greeks Apophasis." Amazon and you can see that Ken Wheeler aka Denise Anderson uses much of the above review as a boilerplate response to those books that do not promote a self view in Buddhism.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:ama ... n&filter=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Perhaps what can be say fairly unequivocally is that it is unwise to be attached to a self or a view of a self. Just as it is unwise to be attached to a view of no-self.

?

_/|\_
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mike
mikenz66 wrote:For further amusement you can read this Amazon Forum:
Denise Anderson says:
FreeThinker says:
Kenneth,

Please share with us your bountiful knowledge and explain the Theravada concept of the Unconditioned, including how it is seen from a traditional Theravada point of view as being part of the material/5 skandas.

A: Theravada is utterly materialistic by its OWN accord....evidences for same? ......
Bhikkhu Bodhi (Theravada's ignorant mouthpiece)
I thought this writer seemed to ring some bells...
Bhikkhu Bodhi, Mara’s right-hand whore
--http://www.attan.com/bb.html
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Dan74 wrote:Perhaps what can be say fairly unequivocally is that it is unwise to be attached to a self or a view of a self. Just as it is unwise to be attached to a view of no-self.

?

_/|\_
Call me Simple Simone :smile:

But to me No Atta = Buddhism.
No Self = Vedanta.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Simone! :smile:

Well, Simon says, this Buddhism won't be much good to you if you merely attach to this formula, as a view. In fact, I'd say it would get in the way.

Investigate, where is this self? Just believe, post bizarre reviews, blather on about it, etc... This is what you call papanca, believe, and attachment to views, which is an obstacle to practice.

_/|\_
_/|\_
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I think that the Buddhadhamma is actually very good for me thank you Dan74. : It is not views per se that obscure us, it is wrong views. Another difference possibly between the Theravada and views that derive from the Vedanta.
Papanca according to many Theravadin commentators is not simply "views". It is a proliferation of views which are not to be found in the descriptions of being as outlined in the Pali Canon. Views which reinforce the sense of a permanent self, and which tend to an interpretation that suggests the existence of an atta.

But if I ever feel the need to explore a rather strange Zen/Theravada hybrid pov I am sure I will know where to turn.

Bhikku Bodhi.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Ben wrote:Hi Mike
mikenz66 wrote:For further amusement you can read this Amazon Forum:
Denise Anderson says:
FreeThinker says:
Kenneth,

Please share with us your bountiful knowledge and explain the Theravada concept of the Unconditioned, including how it is seen from a traditional Theravada point of view as being part of the material/5 skandas.

A: Theravada is utterly materialistic by its OWN accord....evidences for same? ......
Bhikkhu Bodhi (Theravada's ignorant mouthpiece)
I thought this writer seemed to ring some bells...
Bhikkhu Bodhi, Mara’s right-hand whore
--http://www.attan.com/bb.html
kind regards

Ben
let's not forget who we're talking about here
*The webmaster of attan.com is an expert in Pali and translates same, in Buddhist doctrine, and has poured through the earliest existing doctrine of Buddhism, day after day, year after year, over and over again, lectures, and writes on same.
Admittedly egotistically, the webmaster of attan.com claims outright that there are none alive who have a more extensive knowledge of earliest Buddhist doctrine and its philosophy, than himself.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

He might of course be correct about having an extensive knowledge of Buddhist philosophy, proof positive that it doesnt mean that much unless it underpins Buddhist practice, particularly meditation practice. Then it is highly valuable.

Bhikku Bodhi.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

tiltbillings wrote:If there were a permanent, unchanging self/soul that is an agent and that we ultimately are, how would it relate to that which changes without changing? If it acts, it changes. If it feels it changes. If it goes from ignorance to knowledge it changes. It goes from delusion to awakening it changes. In other words, this supposed truly true unchanging self/soul that we supposedly truly are begins looking like the khandhas - it changes.
Hi tilt,

according to the Buddhas teachings, if there were a permanent, unchanging self/soul it wouldn't relate to anything.
I posted something here, last passage. Maybe someone finds it interessting.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:He might of course be correct about having an extensive knowledge of Buddhist philosophy,
He has a Pali dictionary but no real knowledge of the language or much else related to the Pali suttas.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

acinteyyo wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:If there were a permanent, unchanging self/soul that is an agent and that we ultimately are, how would it relate to that which changes without changing? If it acts, it changes. If it feels it changes. If it goes from ignorance to knowledge it changes. It goes from delusion to awakening it changes. In other words, this supposed truly true unchanging self/soul that we supposedly truly are begins looking like the khandhas - it changes.
Hi tilt,

according to the Buddhas teachings, if there were a permanent, unchanging self/soul it wouldn't relate to anything.
I posted something here, last passage. Maybe someone finds it interessting.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thanks. It is to the point.

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

tiltbillings wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:He might of course be correct about having an extensive knowledge of Buddhist philosophy,
He has a Pali dictionary but no real knowledge of the language or much else related to the Pali suttas.

I was being overly kind. Giving him the benefit of the doubt etc. :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Sanghamitta wrote:I think that the Buddhadhamma is actually very good for me thank you Dan74. : It is not views per se that obscure us, it is wrong views. Another difference possibly between the Theravada and views that derive from the Vedanta.
Papanca according to many Theravadin commentators is not simply "views". It is a proliferation of views which are not to be found in the descriptions of being as outlined in the Pali Canon. Views which reinforce the sense of a permanent self, and which tend to an interpretation that suggests the existence of an atta.

But if I ever feel the need to explore a rather strange Zen/Theravada hybrid pov I am sure I will know where to turn.
I agree, it is not views that obstruct practice, but attachment to views. Views are like signposts. We can read the sign and go, or we can linger and marvel at the sign, try to protect it, etc.

Best we read the sign, bow in thanks and go!

_/|\_
_/|\_
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Some great posts from Tilt, above.
(Hope those references were useful to you.)
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Paññāsikhara wrote: <<reaches over to dissertation, search "twenty" ... flip ... flip ... copy, paste >>
Thanks. It is much appreciated.