The Dawkins Dilemma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Prasadachitta

Re: The Dawkins Dilemma

Post by Prasadachitta »

Dhammabodhi wrote:
I'd like to know what you think about the approach he advocates and how and why should we reject it to follow a Buddhist path? Is the peace one experiences through meditation just a 'security blanket' which is self-decieving? I know there is no straightforward answer to this but I'd appreciate your views.

Hi Dhammabodhi,

I have listened to the talk you posted and read a bit of Dawkins in the past but I am not exactly clear on what the "approach" he advocates is. His critique is very simple and not all that helpful. The religious inclinations of people are an easy target of ridicule and yet there they remain. I do not expect people like Dawkins to make much if any impact on their lives. I am not at all impressed. This does not mean that I disagree. This about covers it for me.

May all beings make whatever movement they can however small towards happiness. May their happiness support and sustain a momentum towards the ending of all the causes of unhappiness. May all beings know the freedom which arises from direct knowledge of the eternal truth.

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dhammabodhi,
Dhammabodhi wrote: Is the peace one experiences through meditation just a 'security blanket' which is self-decieving? I know there is no straightforward answer to this but I'd appreciate your views.
Sure it can be a security blanket. That peace is just a tool, not the goal. It can be very pleasant to spend retreat time sitting in peaceful states. One needs to remember use the mindfulness and concentration one builds in such states for insight, not use the peace as a goal.

Metta
Mike
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hi all,

I'm sorry for not replying earlier to your comments, I took a self-imposed hiatus from Dhammawheel, it had become addictive. Thank you all for your views and replies. I've moved past my vicikicca, and for now I'm ready to use a "faith+verification" appproach to dhamma.

@Mike: Thanks for making me realize a crucial point, I have become a bit attached to the peace that I experienced in my meditation and subconsciously placed it as my goal. Your post shook me out of my delusion. :anjali:

Much thanks and metta to all and wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka