Why did you choose Theravada?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pink_trike

Re: Why did you choose Theravada?

Post by pink_trike »

All the Buddhist traditions are teaching exactly the same thing - with different form. Form is emptiness...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

notself wrote: Let me reverse the question. Alan, why are you not practicing Theravada?
Hear hear!

This is a Theravada forum and you seem to have two possible motives:
a) you really wish to know,
b) you wish to look down your nose at the tradition and its practitioners.

So,

What is it, exactly, that you [agree] with about the Mahayana view?
Exactly. Specifically. In plain English. Without an emotional focus.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your reasonable, sensible and logical response.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Cafael Dust wrote: The Lotus Sutra uses the forms and images associated with Buddhism e.g. lotus position, expedient means and so on, but I get the impression from what I've read of the sutra that the writer or writers doesn't actually understand what Buddha was talking about in the Pali scriptures, what lies beneath the archetypes of Buddhism. Because the sutra seems to be written in order to impress people with the vast scale and glitteriness of the imagery. But all that glitters...
I"m curious...how long did you study the Lotus Sutra, the culture milieu that it came forth from, and the culture's unique use of language, written structure, mythology, allegory, and conceptual ritual? I'm guessing you've studied the Pali scriptures quite awhile to actually understand what the Buddha was talking about, and to know what lies beneath the archetypes (?) of Buddhism, and to know that the Lotus Sutra doesn't actually understand what the Buddha is talking about.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ben

Post by Ben »

alan wrote:Why did you choose Theravada?
I've never given it much thought - perhaps it was my kamma.

The older and more mature I get in my practice the more I respect the Mahayana and venerate sincere practitioners and teachers of all traditions. Since we started Dhamma Wheel nearly a year ago I was keen to invite my Mahayana and Vajrayana friends because:
- 1. I think its healther for DW to be open to all who have a genuine interest in Theravada regardless of affiliation rather than be an exclusive enclave for Theravadins, and
- 2. I have always believed that alternative points of view, when presented appropriately in a respectful and friendly environment, informs one's own view.
To my great delight that has been the case here at DW.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dan74 wrote:I guess people have already said this, but I will say it again - people tend to stick with a particular school of Buddhism because it works for them.

If you are hungry, you find a place to eat that looks OK and if when you eat there it is still OK, you return. Bad analogy, but with Dhamma/Dharma it is even more so, because "the food" gets better with time!

_/|\_
I quoted a sutta earlier have a read! I think your analogy is very apt!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Pink Trike:
I"m curious...how long did you study the Lotus Sutra, the culture milieu that it came forth from, and the culture's unique use of language, written structure, mythology, allegory, and conceptual ritual? I'm guessing you've studied the Pali scriptures quite awhile to actually understand what the Buddha was talking about, and to know what lies beneath the archetypes (?) of Buddhism, and to know that the Lotus Sutra doesn't actually understand what the Buddha is talking about.
'I'm guessing you've '

Why do people say the opposite of what they mean? That's rhetorical; I know perfectly well. My words must have made you angry; I knew they might, but that's unintentional and always sad. Words are blunt tools. I really don't want to offend you, am not out for a fight... but I suppose saying that is a bit disingenuous of me, if I dig deeper; I find that I say these things knowing they're controversial, having thought them for years and wondered why other people aren't saying them, why people can't see.

I've built up rage at the idea that people could distort Buddha's teachings, could introduce ego into them, could twist the most beautiful thing that exists and use it for worldly ends. And now I speak and want to hurt, I project the people I want to hurt as being ignorant, needing to be taught a lesson, fundamentalists and fantasists whose feelings matter less than those of the wise, who I'm doing a favour to by attacking their traditions, their attachments, by gratifying my anger, and, though maybe you can't feel it, I strike a blow at you, which leads you to strike one at a wider target, reinforces your cynicism about ignorant pseudo-buddhists like me, there's now a little less love in your heart, less patience, and suddenly I realise that wasn't what I wanted at all, that by answering cleverly in a debate, striking a blow, I've diminished everything I'm part of, sent pulses of violence conducting through the world, and I know they will return to me. It has to end, this cycle of pain and retaliation. There's nothing behind it, no one to blame for any of it. We have to step out of it.

So I'm going to answer you in a different way to the way I at first intended to. I'm going to delete my first reply.

I may well be ignorant in my opinions about the Lotus Sutra. I'll read the whole thing in detail, study the history and interpretations and give it some more thought. I'll try to read it with beginner's mind. But if it's as I say in my previous post, I do think that's an important point to make, and I think sometimes people are afraid of making such points, possibly because of warnings in the text itself. I'm not afraid of anything anymore except being out of love.

As I mention above, I've been a bit angry for years about the original message of the Buddha being distorted through the Mahayana, because the original message is so beautiful and it moves me to tears that people could discard it or deny it to others. That's where I'm coming from emotionally. It's that important to me because I understand what's being denied.

I have been reading the Pali Sutras for years, yes, and because of my practice it's plain to me where they're coming from. I hope you don't see that as a boast, there's no other way I can word it.
Last edited by Cafael Dust on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cafael Dust wrote:
As I mention above, I've been a bit angry for years about the original message of the Buddha being distorted through the Mahayana, because the original message is so beautiful and it moves me to tears that people could discard it or deny it to others. That's where I'm coming from emotionally. It's that important to me because I understand what's being denied.
Have you read TEXT AS FATHER ?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Looks like an interesting book. I haven't read it, but it's on GoogleBooks.

Looking at the contents, it is even more interesting that the first two chapters are on the Lotus Sutra. Why interesting? Because for a long time now, scholars have been telling us that the Lotus Sutra is not really that typical for Mahayana, despite it becoming very popular in Japan, which is the place where Western scholars and practitioners first made contact with the Mahayana.

So, I am wondering if he does a lot of "Well, the Lotus Sutra says XXX", and "because XXX is dubious, false, or whatever", that "therefore the Mahayana is also dubious, false or whatever, too". I see a lot of arguments like that around, not just in books but anywhere where such conversation may come up, which assume that all the Mahayana is summarized in the Lotus (simply because it says so). The Vimalakirti is also quite an exception, too.

So, although certain arguments can be leveled against groups that follow these sutras as foremost and paramount within the Mahayana, I don't know how much this can be generalized into the Mahayana as a whole. First though, one would have to show that the Mahayana was a "whole". And most evidence suggests otherwise. Over extension of conclusions from limited evidence and sources can be a big problem in academic studies, or, in fact, even in regular day to day discourse.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Titbillings: the first review of the text seems to echo my concerns about the Lotus Sutra. The book could be a good read, but as I said earlier, the battle itself can distract one from the goal.
the wheel is turning.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Paññāsikhara wrote:Looks like an interesting book.
Here is a review that might help get at what the book is about: http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showpdf.php?id=14431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cafael Dust wrote:Titbillings: the first review of the text seems to echo my concerns about the Lotus Sutra. The book could be a good read, but as I said earlier, the battle itself can distract one from the goal.
(Three "l"s in the name, though i am amused.)

I have read the Lotus three times in various translation. Each time liking it less. I do understand your point.

Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

:tongue: :jumping:

You know, I've been reading your posts for some time at E-Sangha and I always mentally went 'Titbillings', because I thought it was funny. Busted.
the wheel is turning.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cafael Dust wrote::tongue: :jumping:

You know, I've been reading your posts for some time at E-Sangha and I always mentally went 'Titbillings', because I thought it was funny. Busted.
Ah, so you though I was just a big boob.
Attachments
pair of boobies
pair of boobies
boobies.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Just read the review. Yes, what he says is pretty much exactly what I thought during my first five minutes of reading the sutra. What has always struck me as odd is that it isn't obvious to others.

Ok, I'm going to copy a post I wrote for another forum, answering a question about difficulties reading sutras:
I don't find the Pali Canon difficult.

Some of the others I classify in one of two ways; there are Buddhists texts, I won't name names, that are very metaphysical and difficult to understand, sometimes that's because the writers were being precise about something very specific and useful but difficult to define, and sometimes it's because their ideas are balanced in an ontological framework that no longer exists in the collective consciousness (I don't use that term in any psychic way) or was created to be obscure because the writer wanted recognition but didn't possess insight or depth of understanding. That's a polite way of putting it. Sorry, but I've been a critical reader all my life, and that's my interpretation of why some texts 'don't work' for me and many others.

Now some texts I do understand only too well, but not on their own terms. Some texts use various devices known to advertisers, other religions, propaganda machines etc etc. They employ loaded questions, poisonings of the well and other ad-hominem logical fallacies to attack their opponents - confusing since often their opponents have vanished into history, leaving us with unbalanced writing. They employ tautologies, what I will call 'appeals to grandiosity of imagery', Emperor's New Clothes arguments (only wise/brave/high quality people can understand this...), chain letter type threats e.g. 'spread this sutra and you will be enlightened very soon, disparage it and you will die!'... (...idiots. I hate chain letters), and, oddly for Buddhism, homunculus arguments, to support their own poorly defined ideas, or actually, usually not their ideas but their desire to increase support for their sectarian missions.

As I say, I'm not naming names; some of these texts are modern, some are archaic. The Pali Canon, on the other hand, while not perfect and containing occasionally dubious passages that seem off message (some of the comments on women, for instance), is clearly based on a highly intelligent and focussed person's attempt to create a foolproof and methodically explained guide to enlightenment, the text using techniques of repetition both as an oral tradition's mnemonic device and also a learning aid for the reader, who I think Buddha realised would find many ideas counter-intuitive and would require said ideas to be effectively reinforced.

Buddha tried to exhaustively detail the possibilities and questions arising from his ideas, while humbly recognising that he wasn't able to do this completely and asking us to investigate for ourselves, at the same time advising us not to get too attached to the myriad spurious trains of thought that may arise from them. He uses imagery as analogy, not for shock and awe effect, he dismantles the logical fallacies of others, of the mind, rather than introducing those of his own in support of his assertions. When reading the Pali Canon, I, who have never been particularly star struck or respectful of 'world honoured ones', find myself seeing Buddha as a person; not someone 'special' in any magical sense, but someone I both like and respect and am prepared to listen to.

That's what I read between the lines here.
I suppose what I mean is that Siddhartha comes through as a person, a very approachable one at that, warm and witty and quite beautiful in his affection for others, certainly not some horrible idealised razor's edge of perfection.
the wheel is turning.
Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust »

Lol, no, it was nothing personal about your posting style, just the name itself. Actually, the only thing I ever disagreed with about your arguments on the equality of Arhats and Buddhas was a. that you didn't go far enough (to me a Buddha is a Buddha is a Buddha. My experiences with practice suggest that categorising enlightened beings at all is missing the point of anatta), and b. that you seemed, as I can be, at times emotionally attached to the argument itself.
the wheel is turning.