Buddha Boy!

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Buddha Boy!

Postby piper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

Palden Dorje (his official Buddhist name), is from Ratanapuri village, Bara district, Nepal and is believed to be the reincarnation of Buddha by his supporters.

Reincarnation of Buddha? From what cause would the Buddha be reborn?
piper

Re: Buddha Boy!

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 am

piper wrote:Reincarnation of Buddha? From what cause would the Buddha be reborn?

None. It ain't him.
The suttas and abhidhamma is pretty clear on that one.
Cheers Piper

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:53 am

Greetings piper,

piper wrote:From what cause would the Buddha be reborn?

There is no such cause.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 am

piper,

piper wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

Palden Dorje (his official Buddhist name), is from Ratanapuri village, Bara district, Nepal and is believed to be the reincarnation of Buddha by his supporters.

Reincarnation of Buddha? From what cause would the Buddha be reborn?

According to Theravada doctrine, the Buddha's proclamation: "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world" (MN 36) is understood to mean that the causes for rebirth have been completely eliminated. There is no possibility that the Buddha can ever be reborn in any realm of existence ever again.

According to Mahayana doctrine, however, a Buddha can essentially manifest him- or herself in any place and time for the benefit of sentient beings, and this is due to "the aspirations made by the bodhisattva practice of the perfection of wisdom" which provides "inconceivable causes for that Buddha's activity after his or her full Buddhahood" (source).

Jason
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Jason

Postby Jechbi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:39 am

It may be worth noting that he apparently has "disavowed any claim to be a reincarnation of the Buddha," according to the wikipedia article.
... on 8 November 2005 Dorje arose and said to the public, "Tell the people not to call me a Buddha. ..."

I guess some people will believe whatever they want to believe, no matter what they are told.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Will » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:17 pm

He never claimed to be a Buddha, that was just the press.

But he is gaining many Mahayana followers: http://www.paldendorje.com/
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby lojong1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 pm

http://www.paldendorje.com/news/index.html
"On June 26, 2010 Palden Dorje invited his committee members for Darshan. His purpose was to let his members know that he had officially returned to his position near the stupa in Halkoriya, Bara District which was completed in 2008 marking the spot of his underground meditation. About 100 people gathered at his meditation site in the jungle of Halkoriya. Guruji listened to the requests of the members and gave answers and blessings. He urged his committee to work together and unify their efforts to complete the Dharma Hall which he has requested built at the first place of meditation. It was previously thought that Guruji had requested the Dharma Hall to be called Terguel. However, he corrected them saying that Terguel was to be the name of the monastery for the nuns, and that the Dharma Hall was to be called Terthup referring to the Bhagavan itself"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon
"Bomjon has admitted to slapping some local villagers on July 22, 2010. The incident took place in the Bara district and police have been involved in the investigation after 17 complaints. Bomjon claimed that the locals were interrupting him and was "therefore forced to beat them."

http://www.nepalnews.com/main/index.php ... g-him.html
Speaking to a team of police and journalists who had gone to Halkhoriya forest of Bara, where Bomjon meditates, to inquire him on charges of beating up villagers, Bomjon conceded he beat up villagers.
"They came to the place where I was meditating and tried to disturb me by making noise, smoking and mimicking me. So, I slapped them as a punishment,” said Bomjon.
Bomjon had beat up 17 villagers of a nearby Manaharwa village who had come to the jungle to collect fodder. A police squad went to Bomjon’s place with journalists when the villagers filed a complaint at the District Police Office, Bara. The villagers have accused Bomjon and his aides of detaining them and beating them.
Bomjon denied the charges that he took the villagers in control and beat them severely."

Some people are just begging for trouble. Well slapped!
lojong1

Postby Viscid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm

lojong1 wrote:http://www.paldendorje.com/news/index.html

"Bomjon has admitted to slapping some local villagers on July 22, 2010. The incident took place in the Bara district and police have been involved in the investigation after 17 complaints. Bomjon claimed that the locals were interrupting him and was "therefore forced to beat them."

Some people are just begging for trouble. Well slapped!

:rofl:
Before I thought this kid was just showboating, but now he's awesome.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Viscid

Postby lojong1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:24 pm

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-476289? ... s%2Flatest
"Nepal has been inundated by unfounded reports that Palden Dorje aka Ram Bomjon thrashed 17 innocent vegetable pickers for entering his meditation grounds in the jungle of Bara District. The reports have left the Nepali people reeling with images of their living saint taking an axe handle to these innocent men in a confined room for 22 hours.
In fact, the truth should be taken far more seriously, President Bed Bahadur Thing revealed, and that is there have been repeated attempts on the life of Palden Dorje. According to the president of the Tapoban committee, last spring of 2009, several people entered the meditational grounds with an eye to harm to the Buddha Boy of Nepal.
This time too, on July 23, just one day after a meeting with a high profile Rimpoche came to a successful close, 17 well built men armed with axe handles rode their bicycles onto the secluded meditation spot. They were smoking cigarettes and whistling loudly. Several of them began to taunt Palden Dorje with bad language while others mounted his platform and imitated his meditation. The leader of the group made an attempted assault on him. Palden Dorje acknowledged that he slapped the aggressors two or three times, but did not use an axe handle.
Reports on the matter escalated as the story made several additions over the two days it was circulated. The early reports said that the committee present (a few nuns and monks along with President Bed Bahadur Thing) took custody of the aggressors, administered to their wounds, (which according to those present, were likely to have been inflicted by the men themselves to add gravity to their plot to defame the meditating sage) and gave them food before releasing them the next day. Later the story went that the committee had kidnapped the 17 men because of activities involving Gadhi Mai Mela, the animal sacrificing festival. Palden Dorje said he had never heard the matter mentioned. Still later, the story had it that the committee beat the 17 men for an unlikely 22 hours in the confines of a small room built for visitors. On Sunday, July 25, police entered Palden Dorje’s meditation ground to make an investigation. Being satisfied with his explanation and conceding that the 17 men had been in the wrong, the police received blessings from the sage and returned to their office."
lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Nayapatrika Daily
http://spotlightnepal.com/News.aspx?ArticleID=108
"After earning media fame through his long days of fasting and meditation, Ram Bahadur Bomjon landed in serious controversy following his physical assault to 17 villagers from the nearby village. According to local police, Bomjon hijacked 17 common people out of 24 who went to collect forest products.
After release from Bomjon, local people registered a complaint against him at the police station. The police is enquiring now about the incident. In the meantime, Bomjon rejected the charges by the local villagers. “When they entered our camp, I asked our volunteers to arrest them. I physically assaulted villagers when they did not respond to my call not to disturb me,” said Bomjon, in a press conference. “I will not attend police station in this case.”
Local people are putting pressure on police to book Bomjon for his misdemeanor and they have already lodged the protest against malpractice conducted by Bomjon."

Good grief. Sure would be nice to know we had at least one trustworthy news source.
lojong1

Postby manas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:11 am

Gosh, and I thought I was being mean to the dog when she kept licking me while I was sitting meditation this morning (I spoke very firmly in a loud voice for her to stop). She did stop, but then I could hear a crunching sound behind me, and found out later that she had been chewing the toilet brush.
manas

Postby Vepacitta » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:01 am

Try having your cat crawl on you whilst meditating! (although the purring is relaxing). :D

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Vepacitta

Postby Digity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:25 am

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but what is everyone's take on the story of the Buddha Boy. I went to this site and it says in the FAQ that he's enlightened and planning to teach the Dhamma.

http://www.etapasvi.com/en/faq
Digity

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:48 am

A Nepalese man popularly known as "Buddha boy" is being investigated by police amid reports he beat a group of locals for disturbing his meditation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10776957

What would Buddha do?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Digity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:53 am

Ha! I know...would Buddha have whipped some ass too? So, do you think he's a con-artist or something? I saw documentary and regardless his ability to meditate for so long without moving is impressive, but it doesn't prove anything.
Digity

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:59 am

Digity wrote:Ha! I know...would Buddha have whipped some ass too? So, do you think he's a con-artist or something? I saw documentary and regardless his ability to meditate for so long without moving is impressive, but it doesn't prove anything.

I don't know, but perhaps there may be some good coming from him if he promotes Buddhism or Buddhist teachings in Nepal and India.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby daverupa » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 am

<fault-finding mind>

:juggling:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Zom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm

I saw documentary and regardless his ability to meditate for so long without moving is impressive, but it doesn't prove anything.

If that is not a trick and that documentary is correct - then I greatly admire his samadhi skills :bow:
Any serious meditator should know how is that - to seat in meditation through even 2 hours without a single movement - not talking about 96! (which is actually impossible without a jhana)

Actually even if this is a fake, still his example inspire me much to put additional striving to meditation :buddha2:
Zom

Postby Jaidyn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Documentary About Buddha Boy (1 of 5) Ram Bahadur Bamjan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29clGMWU84
Jaidyn

Return to Open Dhamma