The Term "Altar"

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
theravada_guy

The Term "Altar"

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

Does anyone else prefer to call their place of devotion at home a "shrine" instead of an "altar"? To me, "altar" just seems associated with sacrificial worship. I know it doesn't really matter, it just seems, to me, that "shrine" fits more with the purpose of the place of devotion at home: a place to meditate, take Refuge in the Triple Gem, take the Precepts (whether five or eight, depending on the day), study, and quiet contemplation. A place of honor, rather than sacrifice. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
With mettā,

TG
Ben

Re: The Term "Altar"

Post by Ben »

Hi Justin
I don't think it matters what you call it.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I share that thought although it doesn't matter, as Ben said, because these words carry connotation difference
more than functional difference.

But, all the same, I call it a shrine and not altar.
Butrfly_Nirvana

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

I call it an altar, but have also referred to it as my refuge. Mostly because my husband keeps inquiring "..and so you don't pray to it, right?" lol. Basically it helps to clarify it's purpose to those in my family who are not Buddhist. Plus it helps my husband to remember that when I'm found there I don't want to be disturbed--as I am trying to seek refuge from the chaos that is this house at times!
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Hmmm, did the Buddha have an altar or a shrine?
-----------------------
Bankei
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bankei
Your rhetorical question is irrelevant.
We can't compare ourselves to the Buddha in this instance. While he did not have a shrine, he was the embodiment of the highest human spiritual ideal. Except for the previous Buddhas, none before or since have achieved what he has achieved, the perfect Sammasambuddha. The Buddha embodied the triple gem. Since many of us live in societies far removed from the 5th Century BCE, I think it is little wonder that many people like to have a shrine in their homes to assist them with their practice of developing all the enlightenment factors not least of all saddha.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I rather like the idea of calling it a refuge... except that the word 'refuge' generally refers to the triplegem. Maybe calling it a 'sanctuary' would be better. I don't know. Mine is in a box and is set up before use and put away afterwards. Then again, my wife does not mind what religious practices I undertake so I could call it whatever :)

I am very fortunate.
Butrfly_Nirvana

Post by Butrfly_Nirvana »

Whether you refer to it as an altar, shrine, refuge, sanctuary, etc etc...isn't the point the PURPOSE, not the name? While I understand this thread is to inquire about what others call it, it must be remembered that what is important is what is represents/mean to the practitioner. Furthermore, although Buddha may not have had an altar/shrine, he did/does encourage others to do what is right for themselves, regardless of what others do or do not do.

A bird could be called a robin, eagle, or pigeon, but are they not all "birds" as well?

ETA: In response to 'refuge' referring to the Triple Gem...it works on that level as well, since that is usually where it all "goes down" so to speak! lol
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

the two terms do denote different things, an alter is where religious ceremonies are conducted from, and a shrine is a where objects of reverence are kept, a place of reverence or spiritual significance on a permanent basis. a shrine may have an altar but an alter isn't necesarily a shrine, or guaranteed to have a shrine incorporated as it is a functional table or structure.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Do you think it necessary to maintain a shrine or altar?

IN my Thai house I have a whole room set aside as a shrine room. But in Australia I have nothing.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei