What is conducive to awakening?

Where members are free to take ideas from the Theravāda Canon out of the Theravāda framework. Here you can question rebirth, kamma (and other contentious issues) as well as examine Theravāda's connection to other paths
Nibbida

Re: What is conducive to awakening?

Postby Nibbida » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Dan74 wrote:A striking example that came up recently in a sutta where the Buddha taught the monks meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, went into a retreat and upon returning discovered that quite a few had committed suicide. The solution? Back to mindfulness of the breath.

Whoops!

Any idea which sutta that is?

Thanks.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Nibbida wrote:
Dan74 wrote:A striking example that came up recently in a sutta where the Buddha taught the monks meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, went into a retreat and upon returning discovered that quite a few had committed suicide. The solution? Back to mindfulness of the breath.

Whoops!

Thanks.

I can't seem to find it. :shrug:

Perhaps some (more) knowledgeable members can help?

Until then treat this as unreliable info (my memory has been known to be dodgy. Apologies, if this is the case.)
_/|\_

Paul Davy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Davy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Greetings Dan,

Dan74 wrote:Until then treat this as unreliable info (my memory has been known to be dodgy. Apologies, if this is the case.)

No, it's good. Your synopsis is accurate.

I can't find the sutta just at the moment, but I recall it's towards the end of either the Majjhima or Samyutta Nikayas.

It's often cited as an counter-example to the Buddha's alleged omniscience (the range of which is debatable).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"Whether I were to preach in brief, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach in detail, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach both in brief or in detail, Sāriputta, rare are those who understand." (A I 333, Sāriputtasutta)

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Nibbida wrote:

Whoops!

Thanks.

Vesali Sutta: At Vesali SN 54.9
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:anjali:
“What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them, that I have done for you, bhikkhus. There are these roots of trees, these empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you.” - MN 19

Return to “Fringe Theravāda Discussion”