Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dan74

Re: Mahayana's "Shurangama Sutra" - any use to a Theravadin?

Post by Dan74 »

rowyourboat wrote:..it left him with an empty feeling?

ok..bad pun
:D

Hiya Folks,

Well I am still only half way through and I am guessing that it is not the best sutra to read for a Theravadin. A lot of it builds on Yogacara teachings and maybe reminiscent of some of the Abhidhamma stuff, I am not sure.

It definitely deals with anatta though, removing any false identifications and misconceptions about the nature of the mind. It's pretty tough-going for me, although much resonates with other material and a smidgen of experience.

Some of it is analytic, some seems to come directly from a very deep absorption and some goes completely over my head. All I can say is that I will keep reading and re-reading. If I can be so bold as to venture advice is to keep practice balanced. Study is only one side of it.

Be well!
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for checking in, Dan.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Dan, I wish you'd been around in my Scholastic algebra days..... never saw the point then, and am still nonplussed by it now....!

I think this is the type of thing that swayed me definitively towards approaching Buddhism through the Theravada portal. There was much I was trying to plough through in Mahayana that simply absolutely left me wallowing face down in deep blue blancmange....
Not that there has been a marked improvement since, but I far prefer reading Theravada Suttas and teachings.....
In fact, I need to immerse myself far more than of late....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:thumbsup: I second that emotion..blue blancmange and all. :tongue:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.