YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

sankhara = samsara ? - Dhamma Wheel

sankhara = samsara ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Stiphan

sankhara = samsara ?

Postby Stiphan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Could I make the bold statement that sankhara=samsara?

The reason being that everything in the world, except nibbana, is sankhara; while the opposite of nibbana is samsara. So everything except nibbana is both sankhara and samsara, therefore they are one and the same.

Is there any truth in this?

meindzai

Re: sankhara = samsara ?

Postby meindzai » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Well, I don't see why not. I'd say it's pretty much a given. An axiom? Or one of those other logical terms meaning "self evident?" I'm terrible at that kind of thing. But anyway

sankhara [sankhaara]:Formation, compound, fashioning, fabrication — the forces and factors that fashion things (physical or mental), the process of fashioning, and the fashioned things that result. Sankhara can refer to anything formed or fashioned by conditions, or, more specifically, (as one of the five khandhas) thought-formations within the mind.

Though the real questions is "How would you apply this understanding to your practice?"

-M

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Stiphan

Postby Stiphan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 am

Thank you Ben! I learned some new things from this text.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm glad to be of service!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”