Buddha Nature ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
christopher:::

Re: Buddha Nature ?

Post by christopher::: »

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:When Buddha Nature is conceptualized as a . . . .
It is still an unnecessary doctrine.
I think that depends on context, and on which version a person is holding on to... Buddha was known to say different things to different people depending on context, and on that person's situation, personality, no?

For Buddhist laypersons grieving the death of a loved one it may serve a useful purpose to think of one's dead mother or infant as having Buddha Nature, enlightenment potential. Such an idea may have helped millions to let go of their clinging or regret and work thru their grief.

That's just one example of the possible "helpfulness" and utility of the idea.

Baby Buddha Statues in Japan
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I am not sure if you are speaking from your knowledge of Eastern culture, Chris, but it doesn't really make sense to me that it would alleviate grief. I'd grieve even more knowing that that potential was there but was never truly developed (as it is in most cases).

There is a Mahayana teaching that everyone is moving towards enlightenment at the pace they are capable of. This might help. But I may be misunderstanding.

To me, the teachings on Buddha Nature are an encouragement that it is possible to attain enlightenment (because I already have it, as it were), to seek nowhere else and to let go of what is false and unwholesome, rather than accrue more. It is also a pointer not to set up false dualities and learn to see the perfect aspect of everything including myself.

The concept of Buddha nature is often used interchangeably with Nibbana (Nirvana) which is hardly ever mentioned in Zen. Mind you Buddha nature is not mentioned all that often since not even a dog has it... :shrug:

_/|\_
_/|\_
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Dan74 wrote:I am not sure if you are speaking from your knowledge of Eastern culture, Chris, but it doesn't really make sense to me that it would alleviate grief. I'd grieve even more knowing that that potential was there but was never truly developed (as it is in most cases).

There is a Mahayana teaching that everyone is moving towards enlightenment at the pace they are capable of. This might help. But I may be misunderstanding.
Hi Dan. Many Mahayana Buddhists I've talked to here believe that loved ones will become Buddhas at some point, in the Pure Lands or future life.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009