Buddha Nature ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
meindzai

Re: Buddha Nature ?

Post by meindzai »

jcsuperstar wrote:it's also similar to ajahn chah's poo roo "one who knows"

i think ajahn sujato makes an interesting observation about this though
I think so too. I think a lot of Ajahns tend to talk about things in a practical way to guide students, but they can get turned into the Great Capitalized Doctrine Thingy. However I think statements like "the citta is never born and never dies" (quoted previusly) are pretty unambiguous and inconsistent with Theravada.

-M
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

BTW, did I hear him right in there somewhere saying that Thailand was primarily Mahayana before being mainly Theravada?

-M
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
PeterB wrote:Please feel free to ignore my ungrounded opinions and generalisations. They are opinions. They are not scholarly essays. :tongue:
I have no intention in a non scholarly discussion thread characterised pretty much by subjective opinions to attempt to present a coherent arguement. I am just shooting the breeze based on things experiential. If you find that useful. fine. If you dont.. fine.
Sure, thanks PeterB. I still appreciate your breeze that got shot! I did find it useful, because it gives me some insight into how these ideas are conveyed in Vajrayana and Zen teachings.

My post above from Swanson is hoping to go a small step further than my earlier one, which was also experiential. Hopefully a little more than just a subjective opinion, if that is indeed possible. If you have the time, I would appreciate your thoughts. :smile:
As i understand it Sawnson is in response to Prof Shiro Matsumoto whose argument goes;
Paticca-Samupadda is the sole source of existence.
The Tathagatagharba doctrine is dhatu vada.
Dhatu vada is the antithesis of Paticca -Samuppada.
Dhatu vada is therefore precisely the target of the Buddhas critisism.
Japanese Buddhism ( and by extension the |Mahayana )therefore needs reformation.
I think the good prof might be on to something. I am not convinced that Swanson makes any impact on Matsumotos thesis.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

meindzai wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:it's also similar to ajahn chah's poo roo "one who knows"

i think ajahn sujato makes an interesting observation about this though
I think so too. I think a lot of Ajahns tend to talk about things in a practical way to guide students, but they can get turned into the Great Capitalized Doctrine Thingy. However I think statements like "the citta is never born and never dies" (quoted previusly) are pretty unambiguous and inconsistent with Theravada.

-M
Absolutely.
There is a kind of "contaminated Theravada " which has been influenced by certain aspects of the Vedanta both by at times sharing a common geographical location and indirectly more recently, by exposure to certain Mahayanist ideas characterised in part by Professor Matsumoto's coining, " dhatu-vada" , to describe ideas which I think can be shown to derive or at least to be honed by, later developments in the Vedas.
One of the curious results of this is to transfer certain imagined qualities of "atman" and transfer these qualities to citta. We see the direct influence of this transfer in Christopher:::'s reference to "luminous mInd".
And it is clearly prevelant enough for Thanissaro Bhikkhu to devote a section of his talk to this phenomenon.
The reality is that in Theravada thought citta has no more intrinsic "sacredness" or solidity than rupa or vedana etc. Citta arises with vinnana.
The khandas arise in accord with conditions. They cease with the cessation of those conditions.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote: There is a kind of "contaminated Theravada " which has been influenced by certain aspects of the Vedanta both by at times sharing a common geographical location and indirectly more recently, by exposure to certain Mahayanist ideas characterised in part by Professor Matsumoto's coining, " dhatu-vada" ....
One of the recent sources of Mahayana ideas was Buddhadasa, with his translations of the Platform Sutra and bit of the Lankavatara into Thai decades ago. If my memory serves me well, as early as the 1930's.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

PeterB wrote:
Paññāsikhara wrote:
PeterB wrote:Please feel free to ignore my ungrounded opinions and generalisations. They are opinions. They are not scholarly essays. :tongue:
I have no intention in a non scholarly discussion thread characterised pretty much by subjective opinions to attempt to present a coherent arguement. I am just shooting the breeze based on things experiential. If you find that useful. fine. If you dont.. fine.
Sure, thanks PeterB. I still appreciate your breeze that got shot! I did find it useful, because it gives me some insight into how these ideas are conveyed in Vajrayana and Zen teachings.

My post above from Swanson is hoping to go a small step further than my earlier one, which was also experiential. Hopefully a little more than just a subjective opinion, if that is indeed possible. If you have the time, I would appreciate your thoughts. :smile:
As i understand it Sawnson is in response to Prof Shiro Matsumoto whose argument goes;
Paticca-Samupadda is the sole source of existence.
The Tathagatagharba doctrine is dhatu vada.
Dhatu vada is the antithesis of Paticca -Samuppada.
Dhatu vada is therefore precisely the target of the Buddhas critisism.
Japanese Buddhism ( and by extension the |Mahayana )therefore needs reformation.
I think the good prof might be on to something. I am not convinced that Swanson makes any impact on Matsumotos thesis.
Thanks PeterB,

Actually, the points from Swanson are from the Tiantai founder, Zhiyi, not his own reading. It is not in response to anyone, really, because the Critical Buddhism of Matsumoto et al was barely starting at the time this book was written. This is all well before the Huayan Tathagatagarbha stuff was ever conceived in China, let alone developed in the Song dynasty into the Dhatuvada side of things, and then exported to Japan. (Remember, even the Nikayas call paticcasamuppada "dhammadhatu", so this isn't the only way to read "dhatu-vada".) Huayan Tathagatagarbha theory is not the only school in China. However, it had influenced many schools at some point which became the ones in Japan which then became popular in the West, eg. Zen. Tiantai / Tendai uses the same term, but reads it quite differently, and that is what Swanson is showing.

Matsumoto is criticizing the later Huayana version that made it to Japan and became part of the Soto Zen school. (Matsumoto is from Soto Zen, and was teaching at the Soto university, Komazawa.) This is the same general principle that most average people read Tathagatagarbha and Buddhanature theory as, particularly in the West, with strong Soto Zen influence. But not all China reads it like Soto does, because we don't always rely on post Song readings, for a start. And Tiantai is whole other matter. Actually, this Tiantai understanding also was a big part of Chinese Chan in the South, and that is the tradition that I've mainly received. It just isn't popular in the West, because it wasn't the one that went to Japan and became Zen.

So the "extension" to the Mahayana in need of reformation is based on a Japanese Soto Zen reading of Huayan influenced Mahayana, which is not at all universal in the Mahayana.

My whole point is to say that previous to this, and still in some Mahayana traditions in East Asia, there is a different reading of Tathagatagarbha, which is basically in accord with the early pratityasamutpada model of causality. If you have the time, some details may be found here on page 214, "Absolute Buddha nature means that...". Though later on in his life, even Yinshun moved further towards the Madhyamaka reading. The translation is not that great, because for a couple of reasons, it gives more of a reified impression that the Chinese does.

Mumbling to myself: Maybe I should be used to having Chinese Buddhism misrepresented by now, thanks to the popularity of Japanese Buddhism (and maybe Tibetan too), both of which are later traditions but not the only ones by any stretch of the imagination...
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

tiltbillings wrote:
PeterB wrote: There is a kind of "contaminated Theravada " which has been influenced by certain aspects of the Vedanta both by at times sharing a common geographical location and indirectly more recently, by exposure to certain Mahayanist ideas characterised in part by Professor Matsumoto's coining, " dhatu-vada" ....
One of the recent sources of Mahayana ideas was Buddhadasa, with his translations of the Platform Sutra and bit of the Lankavatara into Thai decades ago. If my memory serves me well, as early as the 1930's.
These are two sources that will almost definitely lead down the path to a reified Tathagatagarbha / Buddha nature position, cf. Soto Zen which Matsumoto is criticizing. The term "own nature" in the Platform is heavily influenced by the Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra, which is a "permanent, bliss, self, purity" teaching if ever there was one.

Why did these texts - as opposed to some others - appear in Thai for Buddhadasa to read? Again, due to the popularity of Zen, I'd warrant. (I wonder if they were translated from Chinese and / or Sanskrit into Thai, or came through English? If through English, then no doubt from some Japanese tradition...) What's that technical term? oh, "source bias". (Probably about as reliable as asking the average Mahayana for what the Hin..., um, Theravada is saying, right? - we all know how dubious that is.)
Last edited by Paññāsikhara on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Since the "Discovering Theravada" aspect of this topic seems to have been comprehensively addressed, I'm going to move it to the Dhammic-Free-For-All so that the current discussion may continue without the implied constraints of the "Discovering Theravada" forum.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:
Since the "Discovering Theravada" aspect of this topic seems to have been comprehensively addressed, I'm going to move it to the Dhammic-Free-For-All so that the current discussion may continue without the implied constraints of the "Discovering Theravada" forum.
Thank you, Paul!

And i have some questions... First, i could not follow some of these recent posts, the concepts are just too abstract and metaphysical. So, for the simpleminded like myself, what are the implications of this for our practice?

It seems to me that Thanissaro Bikkhu answered that best, for Theravadan Buddhists. How about for Mahayana Buddhists? Chances are the term Buddha Nature is not going to be tossed out, so what is the most skillful way of thinking about this?

In my case, spending time with Theravadan dhamma talks and teacher's writings over the last six months my focus has shifted towards trying to understand (and put into practice) the wisdom of the Bodhipakkhiyādhammā, the qualities and practices Buddha taught that are most essential for awakening.

I've put terms like tathagatagarbha to the side, it doesn't seem essential, for day-to-day practice. And buddha nature i'm thinking of in relation to these qualities that we all have the capacity to cultivate and develop.

Is that where some Mahayana schools have made an error, in pointing to the nature of the mind (citta) as buddha nature, rather then to these essential buddha qualities that we all have the capacity to develop, thru effort, attention and practice?

:juggling:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

buddhadasa translated the blofield (sp) english translations into thai i think.. i'd have to go see. however they are not straight translations, he translated things in a way to make them conform to his own ideas, much in the same way buddha used preexisting terms or dogen played with words...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

jcsuperstar wrote:buddhadasa translated the blofield (sp) english translations into thai i think.. i'd have to go see. however they are not straight translations, he translated things in a way to make them conform to his own ideas, much in the same way buddha used preexisting terms or dogen played with words...
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

An interpretative translation in Thai of an early interpretative translation in English from a Song dynasty Chinese Chan text which is an interpretative reading of an early Tang teaching of one particular upstart school. And then we get the English version of the Thai. :rolleye:

Yup - the Mahayana has snuck into Theravada! This is a sure-fire way to work out what the Mahayanists are saying with their "Buddha Nature" theories!! :rofl:

Okay, I'm hamming it a little. But, you get the point. It is pretty funny , ya gotta admit!!

(PS: Blofeld, no "i")
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Paññāsikhara wrote: (PS: Blofeld, no "i")
Whatever else one may say about John Blofeld, he was a very wondeful individual. Got spend an afternoon with him in Bangkok.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

christopher::: wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:
Thank you, Paul!

And i have some questions... First, i could not follow some of these recent posts, the concepts are just too abstract and metaphysical. So, for the simpleminded like myself, what are the implications of this for our practice?

It seems to me that Thanissaro Bikkhu answered that best, for Theravadan Buddhists. How about for Mahayana Buddhists? Chances are the term Buddha Nature is not going to be tossed out, so what is the most skillful way of thinking about this?

In my case, spending time with Theravadan dhamma talks and teacher's writings over the last six months my focus has shifted towards trying to understand (and put into practice) the wisdom of the Bodhipakkhiyādhammā, the qualities and practices Buddha taught that are most essential for awakening.

I've put terms like tathagatagarbha to the side, it doesn't seem essential, for day-to-day practice. And buddha nature i'm thinking of in relation to these qualities that we all have the capacity to cultivate and develop.

Is that where some Mahayana schools have made an error, in pointing to the nature of the mind (citta) as buddha nature, rather then to these essential buddha qualities that we all have the capacity to develop, thru effort, attention and practice?

:juggling:
I am a little puzzled as to why a Theravadin should think about it at all Chris. Skillfully or otherwise.
In fact from a Theravadin view perhaps the most skillful course is to get on with actualising the vast array of Theravadin teachings.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

PeterB wrote: I am a little puzzled as to why a Theravadin should think about it at all Chris. Skillfully or otherwise.
In fact from a Theravadin view perhaps the most skillful course is to get on with actualising the vast array of Theravadin teachings.
Hi Peter.

Thanks for responding. The Bodhipakkhiyādhammā are teachings shared by all schools of Buddhism, these are not only Theravadin teachings, these are the Buddha's teachings.

Mahayana practitioners and teachers who ignore this are making a big mistake, imo. If the concept of Buddha Nature can be re-conceptualized so that it points to these qualities instead of "mind only" it might be very helpful for Mahayana Buddhists.

See for example this conversation over at ZFI. At the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2 a number of Zen practitioners responded quite positively to Thanissaro Bikkhu's critique of Buddha Mind...

What we are discussing is important, for people from various schools.

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I was referring Chris to your statement " Mahayana Buddhists are not going to toss out the concept of Buddha Nature so what is the best way to respond skillfully to this ? " Or similar.
How about not responding at all..?
I am reminded of the story of the notice board in the middle of the Yorkshire Moors.
The only words on it read;
PLEASE DO NOT THROW STONES AT THIS NOTICE.
Why should a Theravadin feel the need to point out in the context of a Theravadin Forum that a particular concept is not found in Theravadin Buddhism.
I mean why stop there ?
Why not an even bigger challenge, like why Theravadins do not accept the concept of Transubstantiation ? :coffee: