Buddha lived in Thailand

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
rahula80

Buddha lived in Thailand

Post by rahula80 »

Hi,

Many years ago, I stumbled upon a website which claimed that the Buddha was born, lived and died in Thailand.

If any of you know of this website, can you send me the url.

Thanks,
Rahula
bodom

Re: Buddha lived in Thailand

Post by bodom »

That is factually incorrect. The Buddha is reported to have been born in Lumbini and raised in the small kingdom or principality of Kapilvastu, both of which are in modern day Nepal.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... umbini.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

There are apocryphal Jataka stories and chronicles written several hunded years ago in northern Thailand which talk about this. But it is obviously incorrect (similar to the stories of Buddha visiting Sri Lanka). You can visit a number of sites showing the "Buddha's footprint".
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Kare

Post by Kare »

Huh? I thought everyone knew that the Buddha was born in Buddhapest! :mrgreen:
Mettāya,
Kåre
plwk

Post by plwk »

And my late grandma's neighbour insisted that He came from China... :rolleye:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Kare wrote:Huh? I thought everyone knew that the Buddha was born in Buddhapest! :mrgreen:
:toast:
What else can I say?
I can't even speak a second language, let alone make a totally appropriate godawful pun in it.
:toast:

Kim
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

plwk wrote:And my late grandma's neighbour insisted that He came from China... :rolleye:
You have to read the tipitaka in the Klingon original .... :jumping:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Well, it would be really really good to know if he wore a Red or a Yellow shirt.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

plwk wrote:And my late grandma's neighbour insisted that He came from China... :rolleye:
Hotei often gets confused with being "The Buddha" but of course was a Chinese monk from the 10th century.

Many Sri Lankans claim that the Buddha visited Sri Lanka (Mahavamsa), but there is no evidence that he ever did.

Europeans have images and statues of Jesus as a blond or light brown haired, blue-eyed guy.

Ethiopian Christians have images of Jesus looking like an East African.

"Every species creates God in their own image." Star Trek Next Generation
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

cooran wrote:Well, it would be really really good to know if he wore a Red or a Yellow shirt.
Good question... know what I think? The Powers That Be ended it all too soon. And then blaming poor Ananda's slack in burocratic number of petitions, I ask you! Ah, just give us one more season.... :tantrum:
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

cooran wrote:Well, it would be really really good to know if he wore a Red or a Yellow shirt.
A yellow shirt, because he never died on an Away Team mission off the ship, which as everyone knows is the common fate of red shirts...