Meditation And/Or Methods To End Rebirth?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Meditation And/Or Methods To End Rebirth?

Postby mwight » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 am

Hello all,

I am looking for Meditations, Practices, Methods Etc. to end the rebirth cycle.
It is my goal for to be liberated from the cycle of rebirth before my death in this lifetime. As of yet I have found no teachings which deal specifically with this from the Buddhist school of thought only Taoism and those teachings are kept secret by their lineages. I know about the 8 fold path, being a good person, mindfulness meditation, observing the breath, loving kindness meditation, etc. Are there any meditations, methods or practices though that deal specifically with ending rebirth. If you know of any if you could discuss them with me I would be much appreciative.

Thank you.
:namaste:
mwight

Re: Meditation And/Or Methods To End Rebirth?

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:45 am

Greetings mwight,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Why do you think the Noble Eightfold Path is insufficient for attaining this goal?

Venerable Paisan Visalo wrote:Almost everyone perceives oneself as something or another. Once such perception arises, birth (jati) occurs, followed by decay (jara), death (marana) and suffering (dukkha). In fact, it is not perception of "I" alone, but an attachment that comes along causes suffering. We can say that the Buddha overcomes the issue of identity because he does not attach to value to be anything, which is only conventional truth, not ultimate truth.

Source: http://buddhadasa.nalanda.org.br/buddhacariya_en.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 am

mwight wrote:Hello all,

It is my goal for to be liberated from the cycle of rebirth before my death in this lifetime. As of yet I have found no teachings which deal specifically with this from the Buddhist school of thought only Taoism and those teachings are kept secret by their lineages. I know about the 8 fold path, being a good person, mindfulness meditation, observing the breath, loving kindness meditation, etc. Are there any meditations, methods or practices though that deal specifically with ending rebirth. If you know of any if you could discuss them with me I would be much appreciative.

Thank you.

Ud 1.10 PTS: Ud 6
Bahiya Sutta: About Bahiya
translated from the Pali by
John D. Ireland
© 1998–2009
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html

"Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."

Now through this brief Dhamma teaching of the Lord the mind of Bahiya of the Bark-cloth was immediately freed from the taints without grasping. Then the Lord, having instructed Bahiya with this brief instruction, went away…

"Bhikkhus, Bahiya of the Bark-cloth was a wise man. He practiced according to Dhamma and did not trouble me by disputing about Dhamma. Bhikkhus, Bahiya of the Bark-cloth has attained final Nibbana."

Then, on realizing its significance, the Lord uttered on that occasion this inspired utterance:

Where neither water nor yet earth
Nor fire nor air gain a foothold,
There gleam no stars, no sun sheds light,
There shines no moon, yet there no darkness reigns.

When a sage, a brahman, has come to know this
For himself through his own wisdom,
Then he is freed from form and formless.
Freed from pleasure and from pain.
This inspired utterance was spoken by the Lord also, so I did hear.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 am

mwight wrote:Hello all,

Thank you.

The method you are looking for is commonly called "Buddhism", there is no quick fix or shortcut sorry.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 pm

The shortest possible route is through the practice of insight meditation.

In This Very Life
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby meindzai » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:11 pm

mwight wrote:I know about the 8 fold path, being a good person, mindfulness meditation, observing the breath, loving kindness meditation, etc.
Thank you.

You mentioned the eightfold path, which is part of the fourth noble truth, but did you miss the first three?

"Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering...

"The origin of suffering, as a noble truth, is this: It is the craving that produces renewal of being accompanied by enjoyment and lust, and enjoying this and that..."

"Cessation of suffering, as a noble truth, is this: It is remainderless fading and ceasing, giving up, relinquishing, letting go and rejecting, of that same craving."

"The way leading to cessation of suffering, as a noble truth, is this: It is simply the noble eightfold path..."

Abbreviated four noble truths from the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

-M
meindzai

Return to Open Dhamma