Do you think you ever met Arahant?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Do you think you ever met Arahant?

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 am

The teaching from the monk I believe is an Arahant is enough!

essentially he said 'got a problem go to the satipatthana sutta,' as well as pointing out, as peter has done here, he can not practice for me.

he was visiting here from Burma, so couldn't at the time but I do hope to meet him again, next time in different circumstances.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby PeterB » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:07 am

Because I am not a monk. I am married with a family and a job.
I think that this debate is interesting in that it points to some need for clarification in the nature and function of an Arahant.
The OP asked of anyone here had met an Arahant. I replied that I think I might have. That the person in question is widely regarded as such.
However he is not a fictional Bodhisttava emanating copies of himself and appearing and disappearing.
He is a flesh and blood person who gives no indication of having Iddhis, and in fact discourages strongly any interest in such.
He has been a Dhamma teacher for decades. he has taught monks nuns and lay people all of that time.
His talks have been transcribed and videoed and recorded.
He is totally available, although I gather that he is going to start cutting back on his teaching activities because of age.
I actually dont need to hear him teach any more. I have got the gist of it. I need to actualise it.
That means at times benefitting occasionally from the kind of inspiration that he and his senior monks can give.
I dont know how else to answer...
PeterB

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:23 am

PeterB wrote:Because I am not a monk. I am married with a family and a job.
I think that this debate is interesting in that it points to some need for clarification in the nature and function of an Arahant.
The OP asked of anyone here had met an Arahant. I replied that I think I might have. That the person in question is widely regarded as such.
However he is not a fictional Bodhisttava emanating copies of himself and appearing and disappearing.
He is a flesh and blood person who gives no indication of having Iddhis, and in fact discourages strongly any interest in such.
He has been a Dhamma teacher for decades. he has taught monks nuns and lay people all of that time.
His talks have been transcribed and videoed and recorded.
He is totally available, although I gather that he is going to start cutting back on his teaching activities because of age.
I actually dont need to hear him teach any more. I have got the gist of it. I need to actualise it.
That means at times benefitting occasionally from the kind of inspiration that he and his senior monks can give.
I dont know how else to answer...

I don't know either. You gave me an answer and that's enough for me, thanks.
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby PeterB » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:25 am

PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:45 am

PeterB wrote:The particular person in question ( whether Arahant or not ) can be visited anytime..he is about 40 minutes away by car from here.
I dont get the question.
Even if he is an Arahant he can only teach what he is teaching at any given time.
He doesnt hold secret classes in Arahanthood. He just teaches Dhamma to all who come.
What he definately is, is a Theravadin monk.

Peter, thank you. It appears I missed this!

(Who are we talking about...?)
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby PeterB » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:01 am

I'll PM you.
PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:13 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Annapurna,

Annapurna wrote:The Arahant must be willing to accept "disciples"...

Not necessarily... there's a pacceka-buddha that doesn't have disciples.

Being an arahant doesn't necessarily guarantee excellent communication skills.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Thank you, I agree. I realize my statement can either be read in 2 ways, or I made a grammar mistake.

I meant: IF he is not willing to gather disciples around him, and teach, or live with them, then it's not possible to stay with him.

(Did I make a grammar mistake? Then please correct me, dhammawise, as well, of course) :anjali:

Annapurna
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:25 am

Greetings Anna,

I think it's just a little difficult in online forums sometimes to pick up the continuity and context.

With what you say above, I understand now what you meant.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby devyani_mandpe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Even if i knew a person was a Aharant what will i do? The Buddha said each one of us has to strive and work for our own salvation. I find the question confusing to the teachings of the Buddha.
devyani_mandpe

Have you met Arhants ?

Postby zazang » Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone here has met Arhants and which branch of Buddhism they were following
and what exact practice lead to their liberation ?

Thank you ,

metta

zazang
zazang

Re: Have you met Arhants ?

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat May 29, 2010 12:21 pm

i think we had this thread once already
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Ordinaryperson » Sun May 30, 2010 1:58 am

The monk my father suspected to be an Arahant was soft spoken, old, thin always with gentle smile when he spoke to my father so apart from that one might simply think that he was just an old monk, I met the old monk too but could not communicate with him since I could not speak Thai.

How did my father know? Gut instinct.

:smile:

p/s: there is no easy way for a layperson to know if a monk is an Arahant because the mind does not permit him/her to have the ability to do so since the modern minds can be rather polluted, information overload etc, so until such time as we learn to calm our minds the possibility of knowing if one has met an Arahant is very slim.
Last edited by Ordinaryperson on Mon May 31, 2010 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
Ordinaryperson

Postby Ben » Sun May 30, 2010 2:45 am

zazang wrote:I was wondering if anyone here has met Arhants and which branch of Buddhism they were following

I'm not sure if I've met any as I hear they belong to Arahants Anonymous.

zazang wrote:and what exact practice lead to their liberation ?

Its a famous eight-step program.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby alan » Sun May 30, 2010 3:44 am

:lol:
alan

Postby Lee_123 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:16 pm

"The eight factors of the Noble Eightfold Path are not steps to be followed in sequence, one after another. They can be more aptly described as components rather than as steps, comparable to the intertwining strands of a single cable that requires the contributions of all the strands for maximum strength. With a certain degree of progress all eight factors can be present simultaneously, each supporting the others."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html
Lee_123

Postby PeterB » Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 pm

Lee_123 wrote:"The eight factors of the Noble Eightfold Path are not steps to be followed in sequence, one after another. They can be more aptly described as components rather than as steps, comparable to the intertwining strands of a single cable that requires the contributions of all the strands for maximum strength. With a certain degree of progress all eight factors can be present simultaneously, each supporting the others."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html

You have missed the point of Ben's post. :smile:
PeterB

Postby Lee_123 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:40 pm

"You have missed the point of Ben's post."

Dear Ben's translator,

You have missed the point of my post.

No need to get snarky.
Lee_123

Postby beeblebrox » Mon May 31, 2010 4:12 pm

It was a joke, Lee. A play on Alcoholics Anonymous and their 12-step program. I don't think there was any snarkiness (or disrespect) intended. :tongue:
beeblebrox

Postby Lee_123 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 pm

beeblebrox wrote:It was a joke, Lee. A play on Alcoholics Anonymous and their 12-step program. I don't think there was any snarkiness (or disrespect) intended. :tongue:

You guys ought to lay off the heavy judgmentalism. The guy made a snarky remark purporting to read my mind. He misread it.

Go meditate some more before you decide that someone's innocent post is an insult.

React much?
Lee_123

Postby bodom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Lee_123 wrote:
beeblebrox wrote:It was a joke, Lee. A play on Alcoholics Anonymous and their 12-step program. I don't think there was any snarkiness (or disrespect) intended. :tongue:

You guys ought to lay off the heavy judgmentalism. The guy made a snarky remark purporting to read my mind. He misread it.

Go meditate some more before you decide that someone's innocent post is an insult.

React much?

Oh the irony...

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dhamma