the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

stuka wrote::? ...you think that eating each other and wallowing in greed, hatred, misery and delusion in the here-and-now is the better option...?
Why not if it pleases me or fills my holes? What does it matter - if one day it will end?
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
stuka

Post by stuka »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
stuka wrote::? ...you think that eating each other and wallowing in greed, hatred, misery and delusion in the here-and-now is the better option...?
Why not if it pleases me or fills my holes? What does it matter - if one day it will end?
:? Eating each other and wallowing in greed, hatred, misery and delusion pleases you, and :shock: "fills your holes"...? What sort of sociopathic statement is that, really?
Element

Post by Element »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:If there is no escape what is the point of ending dukkha?
Buddha said dukkha is the prerequisite condition for the arising of faith in his teachings.

I think a better question is: "If I have not discerned dukkha, why do I bother taking an interest in Buddhism?"
Last edited by Element on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Why not if it pleases me or fills my holes? What does it matter - if one day it will end?
Tashi

The experience of dukkha includes the experience of unsatisfactoriness. If we think there are conditioned things in this life that can please us or 'filling our holes' will bring us happiness, why should we bother taking an interest in Buddhism?

Why do not we just spend our life making ourselves 'happy' by filling our holes?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Element wrote: The experience of dukkha includes the experience of unsatisfactoriness. If we think there are conditioned things in this life that can please us or 'filling our holes' will bring us happiness, why should we bother taking an interest in Buddhism?
If life contains things that are dukkha and some that are not, then indeed why would there be any motivation to pursue ethics of any kind? Just pursue the things that are not dukkha and you will not experience dukkha. The only reason to pursue ethics at all is if all of life without exception is dukkha.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
stuka

Post by stuka »

Element wrote: The experience of dukkha includes the experience of unsatisfactoriness. If we think there are conditioned things in this life that can please us or 'filling our holes' will bring us happiness, why should we bother taking an interest in Buddhism?
If life contains things that are dukkha and some that are not, then indeed why would there be any motivation to pursue ethics of any kind?
Sounds rather sociopathic, don't you think...? Do you really believe that...?
Just pursue the things that are not dukkha and you will not experience dukkha.
And then they will change, decay, and fade away, and the dukkha will come.
The only reason to pursue ethics at all is if all of life without exception is dukkha.
:? Do you really think that? And if so, do you really think that that categorical, black/white statement applies to absolutely everyone who has ever lived, without exception...?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

stuka wrote: Sounds rather sociopathic, don't you think...? Do you really believe that...?
If we are momentarily going off the cliff into oblivion, why does it matter? Take as much as you can becauase tomorrow - no consequence.
stuka wrote:
So all life is suffering. Suffering is a universal and all-inclusive truth about life, not just particular things in life. Lord Buddha says idam dukkham and sabbam idam dukkham (i think, once). I don't think sabbam dukkham ever actually appears. But sabbam dukkham is what must be meant. Because as you just implied all things are dukkha. If the problem is universal liberation also has to be universal. So liberation is not just something that makes you feel better before you die. If liberation is universal it also has to include what happens after death.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings participants and observers of the Great Rebirth debate,

My observation of threads like this on other discussion forums is that often participants "talk past each other" because of different understandings on what exactly constitutes "annihilationism", or as it is in Pali, ucchedavada.

Therefore, I have created a new but related debate topic specifically addressing the topic of what constitutes annihilationism.

:!: Ucchedavada (annihilationism) - what does it actually mean?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would strongly encourage anyone who actively participates in Rebirth debates to take the time to check out the Ucchedavada (annihilationism) thread and contribute their opinions as to what exactly consitutes annihilationism.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi retro and all
I am going to wait for your new thread to start before commenting if I have the inclination or wonder! but on this thread I am seeing some disdurbing things!
would it not be better to find common ground? than as others have mentioned point out sociopathic statements, or be too gun ho in how we post?
all traditions have the eightfold path try looking to it for guidance!
it is better to say nothing than something which can be taken badly!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
on this thread I am seeing some disdurbing things! would it not be better to find common ground? than as others have mentioned point out sociopathic statements, or be too gun ho in how we post?
The purpose of this sub-forum is to openly permit this kind of important and challenging discussion.

Likewise, by establishing a particular forum as a Free-For-All, albeit one where members must still be nice to each other, we aim to keep other areas of the site free from vociferous debate.

A time and a place for everything, with well established boundaries, and the opportunity to fine tune your experience by sticking to forums aligned with your practice.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings participants and observers of the Great Rebirth debate,

My observation of threads like this on other discussion forums is that often participants "talk past each other" because of different understandings on what exactly constitutes "annihilationism", or as it is in Pali, ucchedavada.
I'd agree with that. Also different ideas about what constitutes rebirth.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
stuka

Post by stuka »

stuka wrote: Sounds rather sociopathic, don't you think...? Do you really believe that...?
If we are momentarily going off the cliff into oblivion, why does it matter? Take as much as you can becauase tomorrow - no consequence.
If it were the case that there is no retributory afterlife, there would still be the small difficulty of the matter of cause and effect in this life. Jeff Dahmer found that out, by and by.

You are artificially taking the position that only an absolute sociopath would actually hold. I welcome you to actively and enthusiastically pursue and explore your specious position and line of reasoning and argumentation to the very fullest, and see for yourself just how far your proposal of a doctrine of "I'll just do what I want, take what I want,perpetrate whatever I want upon just whoever and whatever I want, just as I please", takes you, and to report your eventual conclusions back to us from your prison cell.

In short: the Buddha did not teach that there are no consequences to actions.
stuka wrote:
So all life is suffering.
The Buddha did not teach that. He said, "There is suffering", or "This is suffering". He pointed out the fact of suffering, and offered his solutions to the various ways he saw that we cause suffering for ourselves and others. What a good cat he was.

Suffering is a universal and all-inclusive truth about life, not just particular things in life.

As you say. however, suffering is our response to events in life, and not an intrinsic quality to the fact of life itself.
Lord Buddha says idam dukkham
"This is Suffering". Yes.

NOT "Life is suffering".
and sabbam idam dukkham (i think, once).
...you think, once...? Try to do better than that, eh...?

I don't think sabbam dukkham ever actually appears. But sabbam dukkham is what must be meant.
You are way out on a limb here.
Because as you just implied all things are dukkha.
I did not imply or state that at all. The only reason any and/or all things carry the potential to cause us dukkha is because of our own potential to attach to them as "Me and Mine". All things are intrinsically neutral.
If the problem is universal liberation also has to be universal.
And so the Buddha's teachings of liberation are universal -- and he declared them as such -- for anyone mature enough to fully embrace them.
So liberation is not just something that makes you feel better before you die.
What a sad distortion you offer here. The liberation from all suffering that the Buddha's Noble Teachings promise is not a matter of "just making one 'feel better before they die'". Drowning oneself in a bottle can deliver that sad sort of delusion. You sadly underestimate the reality of suffering, and what suffering really is. Perhaps you express such naïvité because you have never experienced real suffering at all.
If liberation is universal it also has to include what happens after death.
"What happens after death" is a matter of speculation and speculative view. What is happening here and now is real. Suffering only ever happens in the here and now.

(Edited by poster to remove harsh speech)
Last edited by stuka on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

stuka wrote: If it were the case that there is no retributory afterlife, there would still be the small difficulty of the matter of cause and effect in this life. Jeff Dahmer found that out, by and by.
Where is it said that absolutely all karmic fruits are reaped in this single lifetime, for everyone?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

stuka wrote:Suffering only ever happens in the here and now.
As a result of past causes. Furthermore, such causes are in nature exactly alike to their results. Regarding a karmic fruit, is there a "first cause" or "beginning"? If not, it makes no sense to say that the karmic fruit which is my present consciousness "began" at my birth.
zamis

Post by zamis »

stuka wrote:
The point is the Buddha speaks of a dead monk having a certain number of rebirths ahead of him. This sort of statement cannot be understood as referring to anything other than multiple lives.
Sure it can. You seem to be employing an Argument Ad Ignoratium. The lone example of the fact of my own understanding would defeat that argument; however, there are plenty of other Theravada practitioners who rightly understand it otherwise as well.
Sorry, I have missed the explanation of your own understanding as it pertains to the stream enterer, once returner... please point me to the post where I can read it.

Sati the fisherman's son held that consciousness transmigrates. Buddha clearly taught consciousness is not self. Consciousness is not what Nyanatiloka Mahathera calls a stream of life. What do you call that which carries kammic imprint? Thanks.
"Therefore Ananda, live with yourself as an island, yourself as a refuge, there is no other Refuge. With the Teaching as an island, the Teaching as a refuge, there is no other Refuge." (DN 16)