the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
kirk5a

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by kirk5a »

Spiny O'Norman wrote: "And what is the cessation of dukkha? From the cessation of craving is the cessation of dukkha; and just this noble eightfold path — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration — is the path of practice leading to the cessation of dukkha."

Spiny
That passage does not mean the dukkha of the senses in and of themselves, ceases right then and there with the cessation of craving.

This is found in the "Release" section of MN 121:

"He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the effluent of sensuality... the effluent of becoming... the effluent of ignorance, are not present. And there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.' '
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:. Though this passage from AN 6.63 seems to suggest that the cessation of craving is synonymous with the cessation of dukkha - the next question is of course how we define craving ( tanha ).... ;)
The other important question is when dukkha finally ends. The expressions such as "in this very life" do not necessarily mean immediately.

Does dukkha end at the point of nibbana or at the expiration of the body? One interpretation is that an arahant who has attained "nibbana with fuel remaining" http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#iti-044 still experience the dukkha from past kamma (e.g. bodily pains), until the final expiration of the body ("nibbana without fuel remaining").

These issues have been argued about for millennia and in my view it would be silly for anyone to claim that the correct interpretation is obvious. If it was , Ven Nanananda wouldn't need a couple of dozen Nibbana Sermons to discuss such issues! http://lirs.ru/do/sutra/Nibbana_Sermons,Nanananda.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the other hand, I'm not really sure what difference the interpretations would make to my practise... :thinking:

:anjali:
Mike
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

If the senses in themselves are not dukkha, only the clinging is dukkha, then why not undergo rebirth another thousand billion times? Just clear up the craving bit, and then, as I have seen it said here - "rebirth is no problem." :smile:

I don't see it that way. And I don't see the Buddha saying it that way. At all. Very much not saying that. In very strong graphic language like filling up the graveyards and so on.

As far as practice goes, well, if the dukkha of the senses is not seen, how we gonna let go? Is it realistic to suppose that the senses can be viewed as non-dukkha.. but we'll still let go of all that? I don't think so.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Kirk,
kirk5a wrote:If the senses in themselves are not dukkha, only the clinging is dukkha, then why not undergo rebirth another thousand billion times? ...
You've hit on the reason why the question of rebirth and the question of the cessation of dukkha are realated.

If there is only one life then if the complete cessation of dukkha does not happen instantaneously on attaining nibbana then the path would not appear to be particularly useful...

Mike
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

If the senses in themselves are not dukkha, only the clinging is dukkha, then why not undergo rebirth another thousand billion times?

To be the devil's advocate a little bit, if there's no craving for sense experience, what motivation is there for being reborn, either?
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Kenshou wrote:
If the senses in themselves are not dukkha, only the clinging is dukkha, then why not undergo rebirth another thousand billion times?

To be the devil's advocate a little bit, if there's no craving for sense experience, what motivation is there for being reborn, either?
I would think that would result in the Buddha having given a very different teaching. One where being reborn or not, were talked about in equal terms with regard to suffering for one who ended craving. But where do we see such a teaching?
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Well, since without craving rebirth is presumably impossible (or rather, naturally ends), we don't see that option considered.

(or so has been my impression)
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

mikenz66 wrote: Does dukkha end at the point of nibbana or at the expiration of the body?
It depends what kind of dukkha do we mean in that case. An Arahant doesn't feel mental pain (grief, anger, sadness, fear, etc). But even the Buddha can feel unpleasant bodily feeling. Even the Buddha is not exempt from dukkha due to change and dukkha inherent in formation.
"Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones, when touched with a feeling of pain (dukkhāya vedanāya phuṭṭho), does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, did not shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pain of only one arrow. In the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. He feels one pain: physical, but not mental.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#pts.207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Whatever is felt is included in suffering." yaṃ kiñci vedayitaṃ taṃ dukkhasmi’nti - SN 36.11(1)
"All formations are stressful". Sabbe saṅkhārā dukkhā’’ti - Dhp 278
With metta,

Alex
darvki

Post by darvki »

mikenz66 wrote:If there is only one life then if the complete cessation of dukkha does not happen instantaneously on attaining nibbana then the path would not appear to be particularly useful...
I'm uncomfortable with how much of an oversimplification that is. If you can all but destroy dukkha, leaving a scrap here and there, I'd say the path is still damn useful. Easing the pain before the final release (parinibbana, or death when there is only one life) still has merit even in a thought-system where easing the pain doesn't cause the final release.

Also, in a one-life viewpoint, death doesn't necessarily mean the end of suffering and the acquisition of peace. It could be viewed that the death of an individual is just the end of that individual, and their suffering and/or peace. There is continuation though. Suffering can keep going on in others, and the same goes for peace. Meanwhile the dhamma can be there for whatever so-called individuals are alive at the time, available to cultivate peace and combat suffering.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi darvki,
darvki wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:If there is only one life then if the complete cessation of dukkha does not happen instantaneously on attaining nibbana then the path would not appear to be particularly useful...
I'm uncomfortable with how much of an oversimplification that is. If you can all but destroy dukkha, leaving a scrap here and there, I'd say the path is still damn useful. Easing the pain before the final release (parinibbana, or death when there is only one life) still has merit even in a thought-system where easing the pain doesn't cause the final release.
Of course, you're right. It's oversimplified. And not very well expressed. But I thought it was enough to illustrate how the two views can tend to be connected.

Mike
darvki

Post by darvki »

You're right, they are related and I'm glad you brought light to that fact. One might call this new chapter in the thread "The Great Cessation of Dukkha Debate". Or maybe just "The Great Dukkha Debate" since it's ultimately about the nature of dukkha.

I think Alex123 addressed the crux of the topic a few posts back.

So: Did the Buddha suffer (to an extent)? Any canonical evidence? Does that idea strike anyone as a bizarre contradiction?
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

In his final illness the Buddha made it clear that he was experiencing pain...there then could follow ( probably will) an exercise in speculation about whether he "suffered" from that pain......what we know is that he described himself as experiencing bodily distress. Personally i think a respectful curtain could well be drawn over the scene rather thank speculate.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Sanghamitta wrote:In his final illness the Buddha made it clear that he was experiencing pain...there then could follow ( probably will) an exercise in speculation about whether he "suffered" from that pain.......
What do you think? Was it dukkha, or just unpleasant bodily feeling?

Spiny
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I dont know Spiny. I suspect that no one else does either...which does not modify the need to tell us. :tongue:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Spiny O'Norman wrote: What do you think? Was it dukkha, or just unpleasant bodily feeling?

Spiny
Is there anything satisfactory in unpleasant bodily feeling? Of course not. So then, that is the dukkha aspect of unpleasant feelings. Craving for the feelings to stop is additional dukkha, double dukkha. Mental dukkha on top of physical dukkha.