YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the great rebirth debate - Page 173 - Dhamma Wheel

the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
5heaps

Re: the great rebirth debate

Postby 5heaps » Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 am

A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Tue May 07, 2013 3:43 am

A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 4:03 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue May 07, 2013 4:43 am

Last edited by Aloka on Tue May 07, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 am

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 am

Last edited by SamKR on Tue May 07, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 am

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 am

Last edited by SamKR on Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 am

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Tue May 07, 2013 5:18 am

Hello Retro,

I am here to learn and change my wrong views, and I am also disinclined to argue just for the sake of argument :). But I would be grateful if you could point out what things seem to be wrong in my understanding.

SamKR

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 5:23 am

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 am

Greetings Retro,

So, in your opinion, the "literal birth" is outside of all of experience? To me it is well within the all of experiences (if there is any experience of rebirth -- even the experiences such as beliefs, reading and pondering the Buddha's words about rebirth). It is probable that the experience (or belief, or knowledge) of rebirth does not appear now, but it is quite probable that it may appear later. Such experience is a (result of) fabrication, and is potent of being fabricated when the conditions are fulfilled. Not experiencing now does not imply that the Buddha did not teach "literal rebirth".

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 am

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 am

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”