Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nibbida

Re: Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist

Post by Nibbida »

PeterB wrote:Whats wrong with certainty or views ? Batchelor has views. And he is cerain about what he finds unhelpful.
When did views become a bad thing...out side of certain interpretations of Zen ?
There's nothing wrong with certainty. The problem is with clinging to certainty.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I think the importance of clinging is overstated. We all cling to the degree that Insight has not arisen. Until then its just a question of what we cling to. If its money its more obvious. If its views its a bit less obvious. If its to the idea of not having views its even less obvious...but just as persistant. We often have views witha minus sign in front of them and think we dont have views.. :smile:
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Incidentally, here's Batchelor's take on it:
COBA.gif
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

PeterB wrote:I think the importance of clinging is overstated. We all cling to the degree that Insight has not arisen. Until then its just a question of what we cling to. If its money its more obvious. If its views its a bit less obvious. If its to the idea of not having views its even less obvious...but just as persistant. We often have views witha minus sign in front of them and think we dont have views.. :smile:
Yeah, that makes sense. It's like we would have to go on a constant cling hunt to see what subtle (or not-so-subtle) thing or idea we're clinging to at any given moment. I don't know how not to cling yet. All I could say maybe is that the death grip I had several years ago has loosened up a little. It's like all that clinging makes a "cramp" and when you loosen it, even just a little bit, there's a sense of relief.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Good for you..

:anjali: