Is jhana synonymous for satipatthana?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

SN 47.10 Bhikkhunivasako Sutta.

:smile:

Sorry - I could not find a full & reliable online text.
Cittasanto

Re: Is jhana synonymous for satipatthana?

Post by Cittasanto »

No, there are some suttas which refer to this, Satipattana practice can and does lead onto the jhanas but sati and jhana are two seperat things [distinguished apart, but related], if you go onto access to insight and look at the wings to awakening there are some suttas pointed out in the end section look for Jhana in the index.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Can't say much in response to the unquoted Sutta - but I'd say no. However, sati (mindfulness) in general is an important mental factor in jhana, which starts to be included as a jhanic "factor" in the third jhana and comes to perfection in the fourth. Also, right mindfulness (which includes the four foundations) being a factor of the eightfold path serves as a support for right concentration.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Brizzy wrote:Is jhana synonymous for satipatthana?
Nope.

Kevin
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

SN 47.10 Bhikkhunivasako Sutta.

Sorry - I could not find a full & reliable online text.

Sati (mindfulness/memory) is one of the factors within Jhana and so are some objects of satipatthana are there.
"There was the case where Sariputta — quite secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities — entered & remained in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. Whatever qualities there are in the first jhana — directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness,2 desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With metta,

Alex
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Virgo wrote:
Nope.

Kevin
Does not sati reach its peak in the fourth jhana?

"And furthermore, with the abandoning of pleasure and stress — as with the earlier disappearance of elation and distress — he enters and remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity and mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. He sits, permeating the body with a pure, bright awareness, so that there is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by pure, bright awareness.

"Just as if a man were sitting wrapped from head to foot with a white cloth so that there would be no part of his body to which the white cloth did not extend; even so, the monk sits, permeating his body with a pure, bright awareness. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by pure, bright awareness."

— AN 5.28
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Manapa wrote:No, there are some suttas which refer to this, Satipattana practice can and does lead onto the jhanas but sati and jhana are two seperat things [distinguished apart, but related], if you go onto access to insight and look at the wings to awakening there are some suttas pointed out in the end section look for Jhana in the index.
I suppose synonymous is not exact. I think that what I am trying to ask is, if people consider that the culmination or aim of satipatthana is jhana - perfected sati.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:
I suppose synonymous is not exact. I think that what I am trying to ask is, if people consider that the culmination or aim of satipatthana is jhana - perfected sati.
There is nothing in the quote that says "perfected sati."
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

tiltbillings wrote:
Brizzy wrote:
There is nothing in the quote that says "perfected sati."
Is purity of sati near enough?

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:
Be kind enough to supply the Pali of the text in question.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Brizzy wrote:
Manapa wrote:No, there are some suttas which refer to this, Satipattana practice can and does lead onto the jhanas but sati and jhana are two seperat things [distinguished apart, but related], if you go onto access to insight and look at the wings to awakening there are some suttas pointed out in the end section look for Jhana in the index.

The culmination of insight is the mind taking nibbana as object. This occurs as a moment of jhana with the deathless as its object. This is far, far, far, far, far, different from mundane jhana though, which leads to rebirth. Jhana with nibbana as object cuts off the head of the foe. Mundane jhana (the eight jhanas) just makes the foe hide for a bit (which is still good but not nearly as good as supramundane jhana).

Mundane jhana is a state of absorption. It is kusala kamma of a very high degree. For those with accumulations to master the jhanas, it most certainly can be used as a basis for insight. For the Sukkhavipassaka person, mundane jhana is not necessary, since insight can result from developed panna alone.

See for example:

In the Susima sutta the Buddha explained about sukkavipassaka
arhants - those who are liberated without having jhana.
Venerable Bodhi translates the commentary to this sutta:

Saratthappakasini (Atthakatha) :
"Why is this said? For the purpose
of showing the arising of
knowledge thus even without concentration.
This is meant: "Susima, the path and fruit are not the issue of
concentration (samadhinissanda), nor the advantage brought about by
concentration (samadhi-anisamsa), nor the outcome of concentration
(samadhinipphatti). They are the issue of insight (vipassana), the
advantage brought about by insight, the outcome of insight.
Therefore, whether you understand or not, first comes knowledge of
the stability of the Dhamma, afterwards knowledge of Nibbana.
Spk-pt (tika): 'Even without concentration' (vina pi samadhim): even
without
previously established (concentration) that has acquired the
characteristic of serenity (samatha-lakkhanappattam); this is said
referring to one who takes the vehicle of insight
(vipassanayanika)..."
Kevin
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Brizzy wrote:

mindfulness and concentration are two different folds of the path and preform different functions.

right mindfulness, view, and effort have a part to play in the all the other folds of the eightfold path, but that doesn't mean that any of them are one and the same as another fold, or that the level of purity indicates anything other than how these work together in different levels of proficiency.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Brizzy wrote:
Be kind enough to supply the Pali of the text in question.

example of 4th Jhana
"Then again the monk, with the abandoning of pleasure & stress — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
‘‘Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu sukhassa ca pahānā dukkhassa ca pahānā pubbeva somanassadomanassānaṃ atthaṅgamā adukkhamasukhaṃ upekkhāsatipārisuddhiṃ catutthaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati.

Purity of sati (satipārisuddhiṃ) happens in 4th Jhana.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Brizzy & Alex,
Purity and perfected are not the same and would give slightly different connotations.

purity would give an implication of how sati is when in accompanying this Jhana, whereas perfected would imply that sati is not a seperate quality, and sammasati as a fold would not exist because it would be a part of sammasamadhi

as it is taught seperately, and within contexts outside of samadhi and Jhana the quote isn't providing reference to perfected, which I believe tilt was looking for.

just my take.

John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Manapa wrote:Hi Brizzy & Alex,
Purity and perfected are not the same and would give slightly different connotations.

purity would give an implication of how sati is when in accompanying this Jhana, whereas perfected would imply that sati is not a seperate quality, and sammasati as a fold would not exist because it would be a part of sammasamadhi

as it is taught seperately, and within contexts outside of samadhi and Jhana the quote isn't providing reference to perfected, which I believe tilt was looking for.

just my take.
Nothing to add here.