Instincts...

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Instincts...

Post by chownah »

What's the Buddha got to say about instincts? Could the mastering of instincts be equivalent to attaining nibhanna?...could this be why animals can't attain nibhanna (because they seemingly have no realization that instincts program alot of their behavior and so can not figure a way to eliminate that programming)?....could could could.....??????....I don't know...do you?
chownah
Dan74

Re: Instincts...

Post by Dan74 »

Mastering the instincts is not nibbana, but it does help to have them under control! Lots of people master the instincts including the ascetics the Buddha studied with and left.

It seems especially hard in this day and age but I suspect this is due to our cultural conditioning.
_/|\_
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello chownah, all,

You may find these teachings by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu to be of assistance.

In this article, he mentions the Prison of Instincts:
The Prison of Life - (from a lecture given to foreign meditators on 10 February 2531 (1988) at Suan Mokkhabalarama.)
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha016.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Control Instinct ~ Buddhadasa Bhikkhu
http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/co ... tinct.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

chownah wrote:What's the Buddha got to say about instincts? Could the mastering of instincts be equivalent to attaining nibhanna?...could this be why animals can't attain nibhanna (because they seemingly have no realization that instincts program alot of their behavior and so can not figure a way to eliminate that programming)?....could could could.....??????....I don't know...do you?
chownah
I would say you'd want to be mastering Intention.

Whether that intention arises out of instinct or something else noticing intention is where you have the opportunity to change the outcome.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chownah,

Are you familiar with the Pali term anusaya?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

AN 7.11 PTS: A iv 9
Anusaya Sutta: Obsessions (1)
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"Monks, there are these seven obsessions. [1] Which seven?

"(1) The obsession of sensual passion.

"(2) The obsession of resistance.

"(3) The obsession of views.

"(4) The obsession of uncertainty.

"(5) The obsession of conceit.

"(6) The obsession of passion for becoming.

"(7) The obsession of ignorance.

"These are the seven obsessions."

Note
1.This term — anusaya — is usually translated as "underlying tendency" or "latent tendency." These translations are based on the etymology of the term, which literally means, "to lie down with." However, in actual usage, the related verb (anuseti) means to be obsessed with something, for one's thoughts to return and "lie down with it" over and over again.
See also: AN 7.12
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
chownah

Post by chownah »

My first take on "anusaya" was that it is not the same thing as "instinct"....but after a bit of thought it seems to me that while it is not what is ordinarily thought of as instinct it can be viewed as being a cluster of instincts not usually recognized in western thought....I guess.
chownah