Temporary Arahantship?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Temporary Arahantship?

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 pm

This relates to something brought up in another thread. The a Sutta there is a story about a bhikkhu Godhika who kept reaching arahantship and then falling away from it so that on the 7th time that this happened he killed himself.

Isnt arahantship suppost to be permanent though, so how could someone reach it and fall away again six times? Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: Temporary Arahantship?

Postby bodom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:19 pm

clw_uk wrote:This relates to something brought up in another thread. The a Sutta there is a story about a bhikkhu Godhika who kept reaching arahantship and then falling away from it so that on the 7th time that this happened he killed himself.

Isnt arahantship suppost to be permanent though, so how could someone reach it and fall away again six times? Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

It was said that he achieved "temporary liberation of mind", or one or other of the higher superconscious states, but failed to gain final liberation because he was beset by illness.

The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, A Translation of the Sa.myutta Nikaaya, trans. Bikkhu Bodhi, Wisdom Publications, Boston, p. 420, note 309.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:22 pm

You are correct that arahantship is taught to be irreversible. I found this translation of the relevant passage:

"Venerable Godhika while abiding diligent to dispel touched the release of mind in concentration. Then venerable Godhika fell away from that release of mind in concentration."

I don't know what "release of mind in concentration" means but I have not seen that phrase as a description of arahantship. Perhaps it refers to one of the jhana states?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Thank you both, as i do not believe arahantship is temporary it must mean jhana state or something like it.
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Perhaps there are misleading translations:
http://www.mettanet.org/tipitaka/2Sutta ... a-Samyutta
3. Venerable Godhika while abiding diligent to dispel touched the release of mind in concentration. Then venerable Godhika fell away from that release of mind in concentration.

I presume that "release of mind in concentration" is Jhana, a temporary release from the hindrances, not complete liberation. Similarly to the contemplation of mind states in the Satipatthana Sutta:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nysa.html
III. The Contemplation of Consciousness
Herein, monks, a monk knows ... the freed state of consciousness, as the freed state;[19] and the unfreed state of consciousness as the unfreed state.
[19.] Temporarily freed from the defilements either through the methodical practice of insight (vipassana) freeing from single evil states by force of their opposites, or through the meditative absorptions (jhana).

See also: http://members.tripod.com/~suttanta/khu ... ha043.html

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks mikenz66, that last link was very helpful :namaste:

There is something else i have found in relation to arahants.

[quote=] There is a ‘fully enlightened being’ called an ‘arahant’, who is perfect - NOT

There is no such thing as an arahant who is completely different from ordinary people because he/she is perfect. The question of whether someone can be perfect is fruitless and unhelpful. Every person can move in the enlightenment direction, and away from the endarkenment direction. (It is probably better not to speak of ‘arahants’.)[/quote]

http://www.wanderings.net/notebook/Main ... idNOTTeach

Arent arahants suppost to be perfect however?
clw_uk

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:43 pm

that site doesnt seem very authoritve... :|
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Greetings Craig,

Arahants are perfect to the extent that they can no longer have mindstates that are based in greed, aversion or delusion. To think they can move in the "endarkenment direction" is therefore simply incorrect.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby robertk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 am

Godhika attained arahatship after he cut his throat in the short time before death. He was not even a sotapanna at the time of using the knife according to the Theravada texts.
robertk

Postby Heavenstorm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:49 am

clw_uk wrote:Thank you both, as i do not believe arahantship is temporary it must mean jhana state or something like it.

According to Kathavatthu, Points of Controversy, arahantship must be permanent,
Heavenstorm

Return to Open Dhamma