What is Truth?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: What is Truth?

Postby lojong1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:11 am

mikenz66 wrote:You may be right in some cases. Which translations are you reading?

The two I have in my hands this second are Vipassana Research Institute's MahasatipatthanaSutta Paali/English, and Nanamoli's MN.
VRI's translation has: none of the 'vaa'/either/or's of the Paali; "with the bodily activities [plural] calmed, I shall breathe in," which makes sense to me. I don't see how the Paali past participle here could be mistaken for a present or future construction, or the need for any conscious intervention in the process beyond tying observations to the breath, so why does it happen?
Nanamoli has half the 'vaa'/either/or's; and "I shall breathe in tranquilizing the bodily formation [singular]."

Ajahn Passano writes: "Then the next stage is calming the body (passambhayam Kayasamkharam) – to consciously calm the body...". Is that not a completely different experience than observing what is already calmed of itself? Maybe some of y'all who tend to stay in Jhanas much of the time can say if it makes more difference as concentration improves.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu wrote: "Note the specific wording of this step. "Calming the body­-conditioner" refers to calming the breath-body."
:focus:
What is truth? Why yes, it certainly is. :alien:
lojong1

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma