Sukhayana - New Vehicle

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Sukhayana - New Vehicle

Postby Goedert » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Friends,

This website appeared in a google search and got my attention.

Sukhayana The Way to Get Enlightned

This guys clains to know the way, it appears don't respect many principles.

It can be identifyed as another Buddhist Cultist?
Goedert

Re: Sukhayana - New Vehicle

Postby Kenshou » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Oh wow. This is kinda strange.

Don't think cult is the right word. Just another "internet arahat" teaching another scrambled patchwork permutation of vaguely pseudo-Buddhist mumbo-jumbo.
Kenshou

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 pm

i looked at it a little bit, it is interesting, toilet teacher, kinda funny. he says he used to be a monk too. i didn't read his method yet though, just his criticisms of others. apparently though, if you think you're enlightened he can tell by a photo, so maybe we just need to send him photos of every Internet arahant and check out their status :tongue:

but seriously, a lot of people can become very clever studying Buddhism, and this can make them seem very wise, i mean they know the "right" answer to all the questions about Buddhism etc and they can make you think they have attainments they don't have, this is a sort of human nature, the real problem is when they fool themselves in to believing they are more than they really are because most of the time at that point all humility and self checking start to fly out the door.

buyer beware.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Terasi » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:40 pm

How about Hahayana? :tongue:
Terasi

Postby Laurens » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Surely an arahant would be able to design a nicer looking website?

Having the text on the page bigger than the heading. That's a big no no.

Is it wrong to base my decision on such trivial things? :lol:
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Goedert » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Here he says about him:

About me

At 17 I had a vivid dream of my future, which caused me to begin a search for the true meaning of life. In college in 1968 , I was directed to a book by J. Krishnamurti, which changed my life and began my meditation practice, leading to Buddhist studies and becoming a monk for 7 years, studying with the great Chinese Mahayana monk, Hsuan Hua, and meditating 8 to 21 hours a day. I later studied with many great Hindu teachers, Tibetan teachers, and studied Theravada Buddhism. In the early 1980's, after 15 years of dedicated meditation, I realized I had wasted my time, and no teacher or literature could tell me How to get enlightened. All the teachers had a technique, but no one knew How. Enlightenment was something that happened to them, not something they did. Whatever they taught was not what caused their advanced state, and whatever was written could not tell me How. In the late 1980's, in Jhana, I found guidance, and there was nothing left to learn from teachers or books, and I started teaching meditation. In 1990 I wrote a book which was published in the U.S. about a meditation technique, which could lead to some advanced states of consciousness. Recently, after more than 40 years of meditating, I wrote a commentary to Buddha's Ananda Sutta, which describe how to enter the four Jhanas, and currently teach this beginning meditation technique. My goal is to clearly describe each step on the path to enlightenment, so that anyone can know exactly how it is done, and do it.

Anyone in US know something about it?
Goedert

Postby Goedert » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Anyway, he is a funny person.

Look at his writtings:

How To Get Enlightened

Get the full PDF Booklet here.

This work is being created to help everyone have success in meditation. Having studied for many years with many great teachers, I came to understand that none of them knew how to become enlightened. They all had some success themselves and even demonstrated super-normal powers, but enlightenment happened to them, they did not cause it, so they could not teach what they didn’t know. Thus, you see such meaningless statements as: “When the mind stops, enlightenment happens.” When the mind stops, you are dead! This is a clear indication that the speaker does not know “HOW”, so they speak in cryptic, meaningless ways, because they don‘t want to say, “Sorry, but I really don‘t know how…but I have this meditation technique I teach…“. One honest teacher finally admitted it after 40 or 50 years of teaching that he did not know how. Having grown tired of the methods which do nothing, I have searched for something which might describe HOW. I needed a key to open a door, not someone telling me “If I find the key, I can open the door“. I already know that.

While the world’s spiritual literature and teachings are incredibly vast, there are very few documents about methods, and they don’t provide any evidence of HOW. Most followers and believers will argue this point. They will say, “just repeat this mantra or prayer 24 hours a day, and you can become enlightened, go to heaven, or be born again.” Others say, “Imagine this, stare at that, or stop thinking”, then you will see or be one with God, Buddha, Allah, Krishna, etc. I once believed like this, but after some development and insight, I don’t think it works that way. While the believers may consider these methods rational, I find them almost worthless for “HOW to get enlightened“.

*** THE CHALLENGE ***

There is no better information available anywhere for enlightenment, inside of Buddhism or not, including the suttas or sutras. I am looking for challengers to this claim, to put the best information on this website. If you know of greater wisdom and methodology, this is where you should challenge my claim, and email me with your best submission. Please read and understand the "Toilet Teacher" booklet before submitting nonsense, but if you love your Toilet Teacher, we will post his name and his toilet teachings here on this website. My Best, Sukha.

There is one that he says that Ashoka killed monks at 250 BC look:

One way to simply describe these techniques is like this: Concentrate your mind on an image or dream until you accidentally develop some inner power. Then the inner power will cause your technique to give you various levels of pain, which is the main technique. The pain will eventually cause physical and mental damage, leading to neurotic and psychotic episodes, some of which we will call spiritual events. This is the technique of the fakirs of India. They inflict pain on themselves until they have a psychotic episode and become holy men. I don't think this is the path taught by Buddha.

An alternative description would be this: Focus your mind on an image or dream until you become very good at dreaming. Then you should try to achieve certain types of dreams which are considered special. When you get the proper visions and dreams, you have attained the spiritual goal. For instance, some scholars invented the existence of 18 realms to attain. Asoke in 250 BC was purging the sangha and killing monks who believed is such deviant views. Now meditators are making dreams and thinking they are attaining spiritual worlds and goals. Tibetan Buddhists, Hindhus, and western spiritual teachers all use this dream technique. It is probably the worlds most popular technique, but there are no spiritual results, no positive changes, no attainments of Jhana, and no stages of the Arahant.

This man use a kind of ironic and sarcastic words.

It cannot be stated as cult, because he has no organization. But may others know that this things exist in internet.
Goedert

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:26 pm

reading his site there's not much to talk about other than he seems like someone who had either poor instruction in or poor experiences with meditation and later figured out something that worked better for him and so thinks he now has the answer for everyone. these types are all over the place. there's not really anything on that site that will be much of a help to many people here. so it's best to just not get worked up over it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Return to Open Dhamma