Do all thoughts manifest?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
Moth
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Do all thoughts manifest?

Postby Moth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Nevermind.
Last edited by Moth on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Do all thoughts manifest?

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Moth wrote:. . . I hope it is not true that all thoughts manifest. What do you think?
Have you murdered anyone lately?

And what soucres say that all thoughts manifest?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

Goedert

Postby Goedert » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Moth wrote:I have heard from some sources that the Buddha say all thoughts manifest at some point. I've also read that what we think is what we are. However a monk once told me that all thoughts are the same, that we can have evil thoughts and kind thoughts but as long as we don't attach/react to them it doesn't matter. As I have been practicing mindfulness/meditation more I am becoming aware of rather negative thoughts that I use to repress. They feels more reflexive than intentional, for example I'll have thoughts that perhaps something horrible has happened to someone I love or that something bad will happen to me. I often think like a hypochondriac, if I have a symptom of some disease I will think that I have the disease. Usually when I have these type of thoughts I counter or repress them. Now I've been trying to just be aware of them and let them pass. I feel this gives thoughts less power over me, but I hope it is not true that all thoughts manifest. What do you think?

There is no self, so there is no one that is a thought.

See:

There is no self only agreggates.

The statement "You are what you think".

"Jhon is a man. Jhon think he is a woman." No matter how hard Jhon think or act as a woman, it will continue to be a man. So that above statement is a fallacy.

In a buddhist point of view a being is made of 5 agreggates.
The thought is a mind object, one of the 5 agreggates.
If one cling to mind objects, certainly they will influence the way one might act. One must see with discernement, seen the thought process as a thought process and not as himself.

If we are imersed in thoughs, actually, we will do and react the enviroments acording to the principles involved in our thought. Because there is no mindfull discernement and the reacting will come most automatically with out seen the origin and principles envolved in some internal or external object.

:anjali:

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Moth wrote:. . . I hope it is not true that all thoughts manifest. What do you think?

I didn't interpret the question as "do we inevitably act out our thoughts" but as "do all thoughts have a manifestation". In case that is what was meant, I would say: When you have a symptom and the thought arises "I might have a certain disease", that can produce fear and physical reactions in the body as well as lead on to a whole chain of thoughts and reactions if it isn't stopped. So I would call those things manifestations arising from the thought.

Moth, this may be helpful to read:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:smile:

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 pm

octathlon wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

I didn't interpret the question as "do we inevitably act out our thoughts" but as "do all thoughts have a manifestation". In case that is what was meant, I would say: When you have a symptom and the thought arises "I might have a certain disease", that can produce fear and physical reactions in the body as well as lead on to a whole chain of thoughts and reactions if it isn't stopped. So I would call those things manifestations arising from the thought.

My question still stand. But then the OP is vague to the point of having no real meaning, so we wait to see if it can get claried.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

Moth

Postby Moth » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 am

octathlon wrote:I didn't interpret the question as "do we inevitably act out our thoughts" but as "do all thoughts have a manifestation". In case that is what was meant, I would say: When you have a symptom and the thought arises "I might have a certain disease", that can produce fear and physical reactions in the body as well as lead on to a whole chain of thoughts and reactions if it isn't stopped. So I would call those things manifestations arising from the thought.

Thank you for your response. I agree with what many of you are saying, which is that thoughts are simply thoughts, they have no prophetic power. The source, as someone asked for it, was a pamphlet I got from this Buddhist temple. It did not agree with it, which is why I proposed this question. I feel that thoughts manifest in the sense that if identified with they can lead to words or actions.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

Return to “Open Dhamma”