Celibacy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Moth

Re: Celebacy

Postby Moth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:56 am

Practicing Brahmacharya now. Trying to dissolve lust from the mind, though I realize it is a long process. One thing I've really started to notice is how entranced I become upon seeing an attractive woman. The mind becomes stuck, overwhelmed by craving. It's not entirely sexual, but it all has to do with the physical form. Sometimes it erotic, sometimes its like being awestruck by a work of art. I was wondering if anyone knew any good techniques to aid in overcoming this attachment to physical beauty. I've been trying to apply Buddha's teaching on analyzing the impurities of the body, imagining the pretty girl as an old woman, as a corpse, etc. It works a little bit but not enough.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:17 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Terasi

Postby Terasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 pm

PeterB

Re: Celibacy

Postby PeterB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I am seeing a lot of aversion here and not so much upekkha.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:23 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:37 pm

:lol:

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

I really wonder whether this isn't a "boy" thing. I can see a nice looking guy - know that he's really nice looking - etc etc etc - and - whatEVA. Drop it. No big shing-a-ling. Maybe some girls do get obsessed with lust. But usually, our lust - which then leads to attachments to our 'selves' - or I, me, mine-making - is different - "does he like me?" "did he look at me?" "what did he say?" "well, exactly HOW did he say it" blah blah blah

"yeh I could like him - if he liked ME enough"

(These conversations are the same whether you're in the 8th grade (that's 13) or 40s - by the way - and although I generally find them tiring - and am generally above them - on occasion my inner "gurl" comes out).

Girls are different - we're superior! :rofl: :tongue:

V.

NB For you suffering dudes - somewhere Aj. Sumedho talks about the problems of boy - lust lust lust - and he doesn't advocate looking at a woman as if she's a charnel ground. He speaks of appreciating the beauty - without grasping to it and bringing it to self (I'd better not say what I wanted to say here - it's pretty raunchy).

Kaplah boys! (Where's that Klingon smiley?)

V.
Last edited by Vepacitta on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I think it was Ajahn Amaro who said in a talk that he will allow himself to notice a beautiful woman once, because he is human, but he does not allow himself that second glance.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:30 pm

A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 am

The Dalai Lama of course like all higher ranking practitioners of the Higher Tantras would probably have his Sang-Yum. ( spiritual consort ) As did all his predecessors, as did all the Karmapas etc.
This is not considered to be a breach of the Vinaya. Although it involves penetrative sex.

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 am

...huh.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 am

Surely Ben. I meant that within the Vajrayana it is not considered a breach of the Vinaya.

Most of the main teachers have their Sang-Yums or " secret " consorts. With some teachers they are not secret at all particularly with the Nyingmapa who are mostly not monastic.
Among the monastic traditions of the Gelug and Kagyu these things are conducted with more circumspection.
The object is to master a particular Tantric technique called " Karmamudra"....information regarding these practices are understandably hard to come by outside of a one to one relationship with a teacher, where they are imparted by word of mouth.

But in terms of the Theravada I digress....

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:21 pm

" ... where they are imparted by word of mouth"

Brings such ... images to mind ... :roll:

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:23 pm

I apologise for necromancing this thread but I have a video on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSoc ... XocSGQFvmw

People who know my posts (I'm not even registered here for a week though) know that I have posted from this source earlier. ;)

manas

Postby manas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:23 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 pm

_/|\_

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't think celibacy is something you should enforce upon yourself, it should come from letting go of the desire.

We all know what happens with certain Catholic priests force celibacy upon themselves without actually letting go of their sexual urges. I don't think that's the way forward. Its probably best to talk with your teacher about it, and ask for the best ways to let go of sexual urges, because repressing them can harm you and others.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

Moth

Postby Moth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Last edited by Moth on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”