A quote from Ajahn Brahm

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: A quote from Ajahn Brahm

Postby clw_uk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Goedert wrote:You vision is right.

Scientically beings envole by means of natural selection, 'Only the strong survive'. The beings who are cappable to live in the harsh and extreme conditions are the ones that can reproduct, passing the DNA and RNA combinations to next generations.

We have to see the context of this statament, because science say another thing very different from Ajahn Brahm.

'Only the strong survive'.

Not technically true, its not about strength but about reproductive success
“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid
clw_uk

Postby manas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:28 pm

If I needed to know about plumbing, I would ask a plumber, and NOT Ajahn Brahm. But if I needed to know about HOW to improve meditation practice, and get clear and excellent guidance on this, I would ask Ajahn Brahm, and not the plumber!

Clearly Ajahn Brahm wasn't very scientific in that (particular) talk we have been discussing. The reason I actually don't care is because questions regarding Evolution are not what I go to him for; I'm only interested in his skill as a meditation teacher, which is awesome as I'm sure many here know.

The reason I can be so seemingly blase about this is because I have with a sense of resignation found that there is NOT EVEN ONE teacher of any description who seems to be perfect in every way, who never makes a mistake now and then, and about whom nothing bad has ever been said. They are all human just as we are, they have their foibles etc. But it's the Dhammic treasure they hold, that they can give, that draws me to them, and out of gratitude for this I have trained myself to ignore the 'imperfections'.

Just my five cents worth (there are no two-cent coins in Australia anymore)...
manas

Postby nalandaleong » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:36 am

Dear all,

Buddhism also talks about conventional truth as well as the ultimate truth.
the process of evolution may belong to the 'conventional' truth that normal laymen often 'see' with their eyes but behind this 'conventional' truth lies the 'ultimate' truth which Ven Ajahn Brahm is referring to.
The actual cause of this conventional truth is really ''craving to exist'' and evolution is just addressing the 'form' of existence in adaptation to the conditions prevailing over the existence.
Please do not feel offended. but it is quite normal for students in the primary class not to fully comprehend what the professor is actually talking about..me included of course. Not the students' nor the professor's fault. Just a mismatch, that's all.
Just my two cents worth.

with Metta.
nalandaleong

Postby cooran » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 am

Clearly Ajahn Brahm wasn't very scientific in that (particular) talk we have been discussing. .

Hello manasikara, all,

As Ajahn Brahmavamso studied Theoretical Physics at Cambridge University in the late 1960s, and, after graduating from Cambridge he also taught in high school for a brief time before going to Thailand and ordaining .... maybe people expected a tighter description from him?

with metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Orlando » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:33 pm

On the other hand evolution comes under biology, theoretical physics has nothing to do with it, so maybe he is as uninformed on it as anyone else? I also found this remark by him jarred a bit with me. However I also agree with the poster who said why ignore 55 minutes of wise and insightful words and concentrate on one thing he said that was a bit dubious.
Orlando

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Actually what drives evolution is desire and craving to evolve.

I suspect that Ajahn Brahm was not referring to Darwin's theory of evolution, but to the Buddha's theory of revolution (Paticcasamuppāda). :rofl:

From craving, attachment arises; from attachment, becoming arises. And from becoming (wholesome or unwholesome kamma), birth arises. So craving leads to the evolution of a being

"Mind is the forerunner, mind is chief, and all things are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with an impure mind, then suffering follows, as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught ox." (Dhp v 1).

"Mind is the forerunner, mind is chief, and all things are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, then happiness follows, like one's own shadow which never leaves." (Dhp v 2).
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma