"Sabbe dhamma anaththa"

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

"Sabbe dhamma anaththa"

Postby isle21self » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi,

Nanavira thera in one of the letters has mentioned about nibbana being anaththa. He points out another source that buddha has mentioned this, and that is in Mula Pariyaya Sutta (MN.1). In this sutta does buddha mention nibbana being anatta under the section where he speaks about nibbana?
Thanks in advance.

isle21self
isle21self

Re: "Sabbe dhamma anaththa"

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:19 pm

This is what is said regarding Nibbanna in MN.1

He(an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person) perceives Unbinding as Unbinding.[7] Perceiving Unbinding as Unbinding, he conceives things about Unbinding, he conceives things in Unbinding, he conceives things coming out of Unbinding, he conceives Unbinding as 'mine,' he delights in Unbinding. Why is that? Because he has not comprehended it, I tell you.
He(The Trainee) directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, let him not conceive things about Unbinding, let him not conceive things in Unbinding, let him not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, let him not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' let him not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? So that he may comprehend it, I tell you.
"He(The Arahat) directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not conceive things about Unbinding, does not conceive things in Unbinding, does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, does not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' does not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? Because, with the ending of passion, he is devoid of passion, I tell you.
MN.1 (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html)

Take care

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Re: "Sabbe dhamma anatta"

Postby acinteyyo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 pm

isle21self wrote:Hi,

Nanavira thera in one of the letters has mentioned about nibbana being anaththa. He points out another source that buddha has mentioned this, and that is in Mula Pariyaya Sutta (MN.1). In this sutta does buddha mention nibbana being anatta under the section where he speaks about nibbana?
Thanks in advance.
isle21self

Hi,
wich letter was it? Maybe you also like to ask your question here : http://nanavira.top-talk.net/
best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Return to Open Dhamma