The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

Postby Kenshou » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:38 pm

My impression was that cessation is the natural eventual result of the purification of the skandhas.

But, even if it may be possible for an enlightened being/set of purified khandhas to cause itself to be reborn, that doesn't necessarily imply that the "reborn arahant" has any God-like ability. All it implies is that it has the ability to choose not to cease. Nothing godlike necessary.

In other words, the non-cessation of the khandhas doesn't have anything at all to do with any (potential) God-notions. Maybe some Mahayana would disagree with me.
Kenshou
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

Postby 5heaps » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:08 am

tiltbillings wrote:
5heaps wrote:if there were a way to purify the heaps instead of entering a cessation then this would give a new meaning to the idea of a buddha
Damdifino what you are talking about, and I have not a clue as to what it has to do with the bit you quoted from my msg.

i mean there could be a god in the sense of someone who has extended their capacity of siddhis to an ultimate extent, and is always around.

Kenshu wrote:But, even if it may be possible for an enlightened being/set of purified khandhas to cause itself to be reborn,

theres no rebirth because theres no ignorance. the final samadhi instead of leading to cessation leads to something similar, based on the same initial wisdom but with something extra realized about it.

anyway i remember reading a sutta about the inconceivable good qualities of a buddha and so i thought it would be common knowledge
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:19 am

Re: The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

Postby Kenshou » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 am

Such vague passages don't justify ascribing to a Buddha whatever amazing godlike qualities one likes. And are additionally too vague for there to be any particular thing which is "common knowledge". Perhaps that's my hinayana showing.
Kenshou
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:16 am

Kenshou wrote:Such vague passages don't justify ascribing to a Buddha whatever amazing godlike qualities one likes. And are additionally too vague for there to be any particular thing which is "common knowledge". Perhaps that's my hinayana showing.
Are you referring to the passage that I quoted that in turn 5heaps quoted as being vague? Quite frankly, I have no idea why he tied his odd comment to that passage.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 18355
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Turtle Island

Re: The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

Postby Kenshou » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:00 am

Nope. Mostly I was responding to
anyway i remember reading a sutta about the inconceivable good qualities of a buddha
Which I took to mean things along the lines of the first of the 4 imponderables. Which doesn't really make any implications in the ballpark of Mahayanist Über-Buddha concepts.

Seems like 5heaps was simply playing off your mention of "god" as an opportunity to plug the alternative notion of some kind of transcendent Buddhagod. Perhaps a little bit of a non-sequitur.
Kenshou
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: The Truths and the Myths about "God" in Buddhism!

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 am

Kenshou wrote:Nope. Mostly I was responding to
anyway i remember reading a sutta about the inconceivable good qualities of a buddha
Which I took to mean things along the lines of the first of the 4 imponderables. Which doesn't really make any implications in the ballpark of Mahayanist Über-Buddha concepts.

Seems like 5heaps was simply playing off your mention of "god" as an opportunity to plug the alternative notion of some kind of transcendent Buddhagod. Perhaps a little bit of a non-sequitur.
Thanks. I am afraid 5heaps' point was less than clear, causing great confusion, consternation, and such. I shall pretend I did not see it.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 18355
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Turtle Island

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EmptyShadow and 9 guests