Ingram, et al - "Hard Core Dharma" & claims of attainment

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mikenz66

Re: Daniel Ingram

Post by mikenz66 »

We've had various threads on this subject:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 43&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 43&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 266#p47734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66 wrote:... as far as I can tell, Daniel's advice agrees with the advice of my (Mahasi style) teachers, and my experience with that sort of practise. So, actually, nothing particularly radical, but very direct.
I'm not particularly interested or concerned about discussing who is or isn't at any particular stage. However, Daniel's advice and maps are basically what you can read in the Visuddhimagga or Mahasi Sayadaw's books such as The Progress of Insight http://aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Progress/progress.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or U Pandita's books or talks by Joseph Goldstein or Steve Armstrong. Where he differs from those teachers I take him less seriously.

Basically all teachers I pay much attention to (such as the above) state, at least by implication, that they have experienced at least some of the steps in the maps that they talk about.

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Above the above listed threads that deal with Ingram, this one

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

probably is the best of the bunch, plus this one

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

There must be something wrong with the search engine on this forum. It did not find anything with the keyword 'ingram'.

And actually there are many threads about him already. :roll:
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:There must be something wrong with the search engine on this forum. It did not find anything with the keyword 'ingram'.

And actually there are many threads about him already. :roll:
I tend to distrust forum search engines. Most of them don't seem to work as advertised.

I just use Google to search anything. E.g.

Code: Select all

site:http://dhammawheel.com ingram
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ah ... =firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i played around on his web board for a bit, not posting or joining but just reading, and never really came away with anything. i was hoping someone there had some insights or tricks in meditation i hadnt been formally taught or just stumbled across on my own. but didnt. but who knows if its different for others, i mean not everyone reads the same books or has had the same teachers.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Freawaru

Re: Daniel M. Ingram

Post by Freawaru »

David N. Snyder wrote:
I agree. Never mind the possible truth to the concept that a lay person who becomes enlightened must ordain or die in 7 days (from commentaries, not suttas);
But "going forth", i.e. becoming a bhikkhu does not necessarily imply doing so socially. In the suttas a "bhikkhu" refers to an inner change rather than a social one:
But he that overcomes all flaws,
both great and small, entirely and
completely, such one is verily a Bhikkhu.

Not merely from receiving alms is one a Bhikkhu.
The one attached to forms and rituals is not
truly to be regarded as a Bhikkhu.

Whoever drops both good and bad action,
lives celibate, walks through the world aware,
untouched and clever, such one is indeed a Bhikkhu.
Arahatship has something to do with awareness and liberation:
For him who has completed this journey.
For him who is untouched by any pain or sorrow.
For him who is in every-way wholly freed.
For him who has broken all chains.
For such one, no Suffering is ever Possible!

Those who are aware will not to cling to any house.
Home after home they leave, like swans that take
off from many various lakes.
and of not collecting new kamma (aka, leaving no trace):
No accumulation = No trace:
Who neither have any store of unripened results,
nor any store of physical matter;
Who is released into the uncaused & signless void;
Verily, they leave no trace, even as a bird fly through air.
of controling the senses:
One whose senses have been guarded & calmed,
like horses well tamed by the trainer, whose pride,
conceit & mental fermentation are all uprooted,
Even the Divine Devas love such one.
of conquering:
The one who does not desire anything,
but directly know even the uncreated;
not satisfied such one breaks off any
possibility for rebirth by swallowing
what he has made. Such one is the Supreme!
- A Courageous Conqueror ...
http://what-buddha-said.net/Canon/Sutta ... tm#Chapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VII The Arahat - Arahanta
And so on.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Since this is the Dhammic-Free-for-All, let me venture a quote.

The Complete Enlightenment Sutra says (paraphrase from memory) "Any realization without establishing morality first will only serve Mara."

Indeed unless the grasping onto the self is severed how can there be true realization? And if it has, then at the very most there may be some residual karmic pattern which the arahat can attend to with mindfulness.

So I don't see how morality can really be an issue for the arahat.
Last edited by Dan74 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
_/|\_
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Freawaru wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
I agree. Never mind the possible truth to the concept that a lay person who becomes enlightened must ordain or die in 7 days (from commentaries, not suttas);
But "going forth", i.e. becoming a bhikkhu does not necessarily imply doing so socially. In the suttas a "bhikkhu" refers to an inner change rather than a social one:
Hi Freawaru,

Regardless of your interpretation of what entails a bhikkhu, the suttas are clear that an arahant does not engage in sexual intercourse:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even anagamis (non-returners) have eradicated all sense pleasures, how much more so and important for the arahants.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

This whole non-dual arahatnship thing strikes me as iffy. I don't think that it's that the traditional arahant -cannot- do these things, and that the "real" kind Ingram thinks he is can, it's that since the arahant know that certain actions, thoughts, etc., lead to craving and suffering, he/she's mastered the ability to diffuse/avoid them. Sure, they have the physical and mental potential to have sex and to lie or whatever, but because they know that things like this only really lead to suffering and clinging and more suffering, they don't have any inclination to engage in them. Once someone clearly sees how everything in this conditioned world of ours is inconstant and leads to dukkha, I don't know how in the world they would be able to re-engage in delusion that they are not anicca and dukkha (and then fall into desire for them).
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Freawaru wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Hi Freawaru,

Regardless of your interpretation of what entails a bhikkhu, the suttas are clear that an arahant does not engage in sexual intercourse:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even anagamis (non-returners) have eradicated all sense pleasures, how much more so and important for the arahants.
Hello David,

When sati-sampajanna is stable to a certain degree this effect already shows, even more so in vipassana: One is not absorbed into the mind- and body-processes but observes them in a detached way. A "bhikkhu" is always described as someone whose sampajanna (awareness) is stable and can be used. He sees and knows, he is aware. This specific awareness generates a distance to all physical and mental processes, one is not identified with them any more, one discerns them as "this is not me, not what I am". Even when the body and mind processes of such a person are busy with sense pleasures, can one really say that such a person is engaging in them? I don't think so. The eradication you speak about refers to the absence of these dhamma inside the awareness not of the absence per se. An arahant does not work, not because he feels he is too holy to do mundane tasks but because his mind and body are so tamed that they do the work without him, he is just aware. He is the handler, not the elephant. And the elephant can still reproduce biologically.

So, yes, it is a matter of interpretation. Interpretation based on sampajanna is different than interpretation not based on it.

Think of this sutta, describing the difference between an uninstructed ordinary person feeling pleasant feelings and an aryan feeling pleasant feelings.
When feeling a pleasant
feeling, he (the aryan) feels it as if detached, remote & alien. it. When feeling a painful feeling,
he also feels this as if detached, remote & alien. If he feels a neither-painful-nor-
pleasant feeling, he feels even that neutrality as if something detached, remote & alien....
This, bhikkhus, is called a Noble Disciple, who is released from birth, aging, and death!
http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/II/Bo ... eeling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So yes, the mind- and body-processes of a person who is aryan can engage in sense-pleasures of all kinds, but still he feels them all as if detached, remote and alien. Not me, not mine, not what I am. Can one say of such a person that *he* is engaged in sense-pleasure? I say: no!
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Despite the understandable objections raised here, I found parts of the book to be useful & straightforward in it's explanations. I was less concerned with his presentation than my own judgmental attitude about it.

At the risk of getting Mahayana here:

Therefore, when enemies or friends
are seen to act improperly
be serene and call to mind
that everything arises from conditions.

Shantideva, 6.33
nathan

Re: Daniel M. Ingram - Dhamma book written by arahat?

Post by nathan »

The DharmaOverground forum is in it's second incarnation now and no longer at the wetpaint site.
If you would like to take anything related to meditation or attainments up with Dr. Ingram directly you can do so at his forum here:

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At one point there was a long dispute between the Mahasi types vs. the Non-dual types and most of the non-dual people split off to this forum here:

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the earlier version of the DhO I spent some time discussing a variety of things with the members but over the last year, in it's new format I haven't been involved with the forum except for one occasion where I was specifically asked to comment.

I find most of the criticisms on the more general buddhist forums, criticisms of Daniel's book and his claims to be largely what one would expect from Theravada buddhists and I'm not surprised at any of it. Personally, I don't care if people call themselves arahants or not and I don't care if people want to criticize those claims or not. Daniel has stated that he is making the claims he makes as an attempt to encourage other people to practice diligently and that may have been beneficial for some people. Obviously, for more conservative people, who probably predominate amongst serious students of Theravada, some of what he has to say about liberalizing the idea of what arahats are like is going to be considered unacceptable.

I have questioned Daniel and others about this liberalizing thinking about arahats and I haven't really received much in the way of a satisfactory answer. I have tried to make the point that if you are not prepared to accept the traditional sutta based interpretation of what an arahat is in it's entirety then you are devaluing the term and it becomes largely meaningless. The general drift of what people who focus predominantly on meditation practice have to say is that in practical terms the way that things change internally are not quite the same as how things are more superficially presented in the more traditional terms.

My thinking about all of this controversy is that while meditation is central to the path it is not the whole of what constitutes mature wisdom. In my thinking discipline applies to both virtue and meditation and that together these lead to dispassion. One does not become less passionate about sex, for example, by continuing to have sex, one becomes dispassionate about sex by no longer having sex, thinking about sex and even by becoming revolted by the thought of engaging in sex. So, imho, wisdom is more than disciplined meditation, wisdom applies to the whole of life, both internally and externally. As I see it, that is the real shortcoming of the suggestion that various degrees of meditative experience alone is the measure of one's liberation from ignorance and freedom from being and becoming.

I'm supportive of the main intention in what Daniel and others are doing, which is to encourage very open discussions about meditation practice and meditation experience. I would also like to see more open discussion of that and I agree that the whole subject could use a lot of demystification and clarification. I also agree with more conservative thinkers that it is beneficial to find qualified teachers of meditation. For some people teachers within the traditional settings can be found to be not very helpful when it comes to discussing the ongoing difficulties people can encounter in their meditation practice and many more people do not have access to any good teachers on a regular basis. In that context meditation practice forums like Daniel's have proven to be very helpful to some of the people who have participated.

What is often encountered in more mainstream forums like Dhamma Wheel ( which I find to be among the best at present and this is not intended in any way as a criticism of this forum or any of it's participants ) is that in the course of discussions of subjects like the phenomena related to the stages of insight, jhana, cessation and the like it is often difficult to separate a discussion of the subject of meditation from a discussion of the status of those who are willing to address the subject from an experiential pov. It happens with enough frequency that it becomes effectively impossible to discuss meditation and the objectives of meditation in anything but the most vague and general terms. Attempts to bring more clarity to the subjects can easily deteriorate into arguments about the status of those participating in the discussion.

I don't have any problem with having very conservative Theravada views about the four types of noble persons, I also have very conservative Theravada views on this. At the same time I do not think it benefits anyone to shift discussions of meditation practice and experience into arguments about either overt or implicit claims about attainments. I think it would benefit everyone a great deal if the two subjects could be kept apart.

I think, with the benefit of a few years hindsight, Daniels attempt to put all the arguments about arahatship aside by simply claiming to be an arahat has been, in the context of the Theravada community as a whole, a failed experiment. In the context of the small sub-set of people who are much more focused on meditation in practice, it has been much more of a success. Probably, everyone has gotten what they want out of this at this point. Those who are more interested in condemning people for making this or that claim of attainment of one kind or another have been able to continue to do so in general Theravada forums like this one and those who are more interested in open discussions about meditation practice and experience are much more able to do so in forums like Daniels and others of that sort.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

nathan wrote: At the same time I do not think it benefits anyone to shift discussions of meditation practice and experience into arguments about either overt or implicit claims about attainments. I think it would benefit everyone a great deal if the two subjects could be kept apart.

Thanks for pointing that out.
(Guilty as charged now that I think about it.)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
altar

Post by altar »

:anjali:
smokey

Post by smokey »

Would an Arahant write a book? I seriously doubt Ingram is an Arahant, I read his book a little bit and I do not sense wisdom in his words.