Why can't more teach like Bhikkhu Bodhi & Ajahn Brahm?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Why can't more teach like Bhikkhu Bodhi & Ajahn Brahm?

Postby mettafuture » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 am

I love how focused, clear, and to the point they are when they teach. You learn something from each of their talks, and you don't have to shovel through a bunch of slow rambling and confusing wordplay.

Or do some of you prefer this kind of teaching approach?
mettafuture

Re: Why can't more teach like Bhikkhu Bodhi & Ajahn Brahm?

Postby Paññāsikhara » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 am

mettafuture wrote:I love how focused, clear, and to the point they are when they teach. You learn something from each of their talks, and you don't have to shovel through a bunch of slow rambling and confusing wordplay.

Probably because not every bhikkhu has a PhD in philosophy or post-grad degree in physics before they ordain, nor have trained with some of the best teachers (in the respective fields of doctrinal study and meditation).

And, if everyone were like that, there would still be some better than others, and our discriminating mind would still find something to complain about. ... :tongue: "Why can't every bhikkhu be a buddha already?!?! sheesh!"
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 am

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 am

Greetings Mettafuture,

mettafuture wrote:Or do some of you prefer this kind of teaching approach?

It's hard for me to comment, because I tend to read dhamma talks, essays and books rather than listen to them. I do find that Bhikkhu Bodhi writes well though, and to that extent is easy to read and produces very readable translations of the suttas.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby mettafuture » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:
mettafuture wrote:I love how focused, clear, and to the point they are when they teach. You learn something from each of their talks, and you don't have to shovel through a bunch of slow rambling and confusing wordplay.

Probably because not every bhikkhu has a PhD in philosophy or post-grad degree in physics before they ordain, nor have trained with some of the best teachers (in the respective fields of doctrinal study and meditation).

Lol. You're right. I forgot Venerable Bodhi and Venerable Brahm are both highly educated.

And, if everyone were like that, there would still be some better than others, and our discriminating mind would still find something to complain about.

I doubt that. If every teacher were as direct and as clear as them, we'd just have more dhamma material.

"Why can't every bhikkhu be a buddha already?!?! sheesh!"

:D

tiltbillings wrote:Try a few of his talks: http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/

I only had enough space in the subject line for 2 names. If there were room for one more, he would have been the 3rd on my list. :) I love listening to Goldstein.

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Mettafuture,

mettafuture wrote:Or do some of you prefer this kind of teaching approach?

It's hard for me to comment, because I tend to read dhamma talks, essays and books rather than listen to them. I do find that Bhikkhu Bodhi writes well though, and to that extent is easy to read and produces very readable translations of the suttas.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Because of the work I do, my eyes are usually kind of tired by the end of the day. This is why I prefer audio talks over books. But when it comes to books and essays, Bhikkhu Bodhi's work is some of the best, if not the best.
Last edited by mettafuture on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mettafuture

Postby Kenshou » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 am

I think Ajahn Brahm can be quite a rambler, actually, but I like his talks.
Kenshou

Postby mettafuture » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 am

Kenshou wrote:I think Ajahn Brahm can be quite a rambler, actually, but I like his talks.

He can be, but he usually ends his talk with a really good point or lesson. He doesn't just meander about and end no where. Lol

And going back to the point made earlier about education: I'm not sure if that's the only factor. Some teachers, even the really intelligent ones, just seem to enjoy listening to themselves talk and "sound profound." They're smart, but they don't seem very mindful about what they're saying.
mettafuture

Postby Monkey Mind » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:57 pm

If you enjoy Ajahn Brahm... I've grown fond of listening to Ajahn Vayama, found at the same website.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby Individual » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Bhikkhu Bodhi is OK, but I don't understand how people obsess over him.

I think Gil Fronsdal is under-rated by a lot of people merely because he doesn't have an orange robe and wail against materialism.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby mettafuture » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Monkey Mind wrote:If you enjoy Ajahn Brahm... I've grown fond of listening to Ajahn Vayama, found at the same website.

But isn't Ajahn Vayama a woman?! :shock: Women shouldn't be allowed to teach! :D

I knew someone who felt that way. Too funny.

I'll definitely give her a listen. Thank you for the suggestion.

Individual wrote:

Bhikkhu Bodhi is OK, but I don't understand how people obsess over him.

Lol. I really like Bhikkhu Bodhi because of how thorough and conservative he is. He knows a LOT about the dhamma, and he never tries to water down any of the teachings. This is why I, personally, respect him so much. He's not the most beautiful speaker, but you can gain a lot of knowledge from his books and talks.

I think Gil Fronsdal is under-rated by a lot of people merely because he doesn't have an orange robe and wail against materialism.

:D

Gil Fronsdal is good too. I love how varied his guided meditations are. He's one of the few teachers I know of who gives guided meditations on something OTHER than the breath.
mettafuture

Postby Vepacitta » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey Metta - Ajahn Brahm is a dude!

From Mt. Meru,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Vepacitta

Postby pilgrim » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:57 pm

They trained as monks...and public speaking wasn't really in the curriculum. However, I wish more monks will learn good or engaging public speaking methods. I recently attended a talk by a fairly well known Burmese monk. The whole talk he stared into the back of a fan he held in front of him and spoke in a monotone. Those into meditation might appreciate his talk but most in the audience had a hard time sustaining attention. i doubt many will return for the next talk.
pilgrim

Return to Open Dhamma