Did the Buddha say all suffering is caused by craving?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
BubbaBuddhist
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Re: Did the Buddha say all suffering is caused by craving?

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I'll toss a potato into this pot. You can also have two forms of craving: craving paired with ignorance (which i think of as hopeless craving) and craving paired with awareness. If I know that craving is dukkha, then over time mind will be conditioned to crave less--seeing diminishing returns as non-productive. If I don't know this, that is, if I'm ignorant, I'll continue to think if I indulge my cravings I'll eventually find satisfaction. The problem is satisfying cravings does work--for a little while. Most alcoholics and drug addicts would still be using if it wouldn't kill them. And if it weren't for my diabetes, I'd still eat a box of Oreos at a time. But I know better. :P Reality just isn't constructed that way--too much of anything will probably kill you. All cravings are dukkha. The Buddha wanted us to examine our mental and physical states very carefully so we see unwholesome actions produce undesirable states (ref: Kalamas Sutta). I don't really care what a bunch of Zen guys who lived long after Buddha said about it. Buddha pretty much spelled it out. No offense intended to you Zennists. :anjali:
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Goedert
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby Goedert » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Satori wrote:
Goedert wrote:The Buddha said that all the suffering and purification is caused by oneself and just self alone.

If it depends on us alone , why did the Buddha bother teaching and preaching? It seems strange he said that , if he believes there is no-self.

The Buddha never said there is no-self or that there is a self. This are questions that do not lead to cessation of dukkha. They only create more stress and agitation in the mind.

I ask you ty friend. What is the use of a doctrine if you do not spend your time and effort practicing it? The answer is obvious, it is useless.

Spiny O'Norman
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 am

nowheat wrote:
nowheat wrote: Craving is the cause of our suffering and it is ended by ending ignorance; ignorance is the cause of our suffering. They are one and the same.

I misworded that conclusion. Ignorance and craving aren't the same they are just two halves of a whole. To end craving you have to understand what ignorance consists of, to end ignorance you have to understand what craving does (causes suffering).

:namaste:

That makes sense to me. I think it's equivalent to saying that Right View consists of insight into the Noble Truths.

Spiny

Return to “Open Dhamma”