Did Lord Buddha accept the authority or reject the vedas?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Satori

Did Lord Buddha accept the authority or reject the vedas?

Post by Satori »

Did he?
Prasadachitta

Re: Did Lord Buddha accept the authority or reject the vedas?

Post by Prasadachitta »

Satori wrote:Did he?
My understanding is that he neither rejected them or accepted them. He saw clearly what was of benefit and what was not. This clear seeing comes from and is not different than seeing the true nature of reality. With this vision he was able to skillfully help those who had faith in the Vedas to reject those ideas which were harmful or at least not that helpful.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hanzze wrote:Did you mean the spiritual or the worldly? Sorry if my question is caused by lacking of my knowledge.

Both
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Satori

Post by Satori »

gabrielbranbury wrote:
Satori wrote:Did he?
My understanding is that he neither rejected them or accepted them. He saw clearly what was of benefit and what was not. This clear seeing comes from and is not different than seeing the true nature of reality. With this vision he was able to skillfully help those who had faith in the Vedas to reject those ideas which were harmful or at least not that helpful.

Metta

Gabe

There are harmfull ideas contained inside?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Satori wrote:
It might do well for you to do some actual study of Buddhist history. I'll be glad to suggest a couple of good books with which to start.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:
Satori wrote:There are harmfull ideas contained inside?
In deed, as had not the Robin Hood mind I guess
Huh?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hanzze wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:It might do well for you to do some actual study of Buddhist history. I'll be glad to suggest a couple of good books with which to start.
?
?

Satori

Post by Satori »

tiltbillings wrote:
Satori wrote:
It might do well for you to do some actual study of Buddhist history. I'll be glad to suggest a couple of good books with which to start.
Hi Sir, thank you. It always helps to understand the historical context and the unwritten assumptions. But perhaps I am asking too many questions.

I have read that Buddhism influenced Hinduism and vice versa and at the time of the Buddha , Hindus did things like sacrafice animals to deities, which Buddhism did not.

Although I am very ignorant , in my humble opinin , it seems that Lord Buddha was reforming the Hindu faith.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Satori wrote:it seems that Lord Buddha was reforming the Hindu faith.
Reforming? No. What we call Hindhuism, as exemplified by such as the Bhagavad Gita, is pretty much a something that arose in response to Buddhism. The Buddha rejected the basis of the Brahmanism that existed at his time.

Satori

Post by Satori »

tiltbillings wrote:
Satori wrote:it seems that Lord Buddha was reforming the Hindu faith.
Reforming? No. What we call Hindhuism, as exemplified by such as the Bhagavad Gita, is pretty much a something that arose in response to Buddhism. The Buddha rejected the basis of the Brahmanism that existed at his time.
Well, Lord Buddha , seems to have taken ideas from Hinduism, in the pali canon , there is mentioning of Hindu deities, such as Yama. There is also mentioning in rebirth and karma , which I thoughted was Hindu ideas.

The Buddha said our actions affect our rebirth in the rounds of rebirth.

I also thought that both Buddhists and Hindus believe there are six realms of existance.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*