YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha. - Dhamma Wheel

Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Satori

Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha.

Postby Satori » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:44 am

I am exploring Buddhism and I go to a Buddhist group that is non-traditional.

I pretty interested to know how Buddhists celebrate the Elightenment of the Buddha, if at all. I am also curious to know how Buddhist think about celebrating the Buddha.

Even though I am not a Buddhist, I feel that I owe respect for all that he had done to improve the happiness and welfare of mankind. I do not see this as worshipping the Buddha as a God, but just simple graditude.

But many of the people at the non-traditional Buddhist group I go to felt very uncomfortable about celebrating the Buddha.
So I am wondering , why and how Buddhists celebrate the Buddha? And why some would oppose celebrating the Buddha?

Ben

Re: Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha.

Postby Ben » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

plwk

Postby plwk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm

_/\_
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”