Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha.

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha.

Postby Satori » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:44 am

I am exploring Buddhism and I go to a Buddhist group that is non-traditional.

I pretty interested to know how Buddhists celebrate the Elightenment of the Buddha, if at all. I am also curious to know how Buddhist think about celebrating the Buddha.

Even though I am not a Buddhist, I feel that I owe respect for all that he had done to improve the happiness and welfare of mankind. I do not see this as worshipping the Buddha as a God, but just simple graditude.

But many of the people at the non-traditional Buddhist group I go to felt very uncomfortable about celebrating the Buddha.
So I am wondering , why and how Buddhists celebrate the Buddha? And why some would oppose celebrating the Buddha?
Satori

Re: Celebrating the Elightenment of the Buddha.

Postby Ben » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 am

Satori wrote:how Buddhists celebrate the Buddha?

āraddhavīriye pahitatte
niccaṃ daḷhaparakkame
samagge sāvake passa
etaṃ buddhāna vandanaṃ.

I see the gathering of followers:
Putting forth effort, self controlled,
Always with strong resolution
—This is how to honor the Buddhas!

– Mahapajapatigotamitheriapadanam-2/7-171

trans: Andrew Olendzki and Ajahn Dhammanando
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby plwk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 pm

why.....Buddhists celebrate the Buddha?
Mahaparinibbana Sutta
Then the Venerable Sariputta went to the Blessed One, respectfully greeted him, sat down at one side, and spoke thus to him:
"This faith, Lord, I have in the Blessed One, that there has not been, there will not be, nor is there now, another recluse or brahman more exalted in Enlightenment than the Blessed One."

"Lofty indeed is this speech of yours, Sariputta, and lordly! A bold utterance, a veritable sounding of the lion's roar!
But how is this, Sariputta? Those Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the past — do you have direct personal knowledge of all those Blessed Ones, as to their virtue, their meditation, their wisdom, their abiding, and their emancipation?"
"Not so, Lord."

"Then how is this, Sariputta? Those Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the future — do you have direct personal knowledge of all those Blessed Ones, as to their virtue, their meditation, their wisdom, their abiding, and their emancipation?"
"Not so, Lord."

"Then how is this, Sariputta? Of me, who am at present the Arahant, the Fully Enlightened One, do you have direct personal knowledge as to my virtue, my meditation, my wisdom, my abiding, and my emancipation?"
"Not so, Lord."

"Then it is clear, Sariputta, that you have no such direct personal knowledge of the Arahats, the Fully Enlightened Ones of the past, the future, and the present. How then dare you set forth a speech so lofty and lordly, an utterance so bold, a veritable sounding of the lion's roar, saying: 'This faith, Lord, I have in the Blessed One, that there has not been, there will not be, nor is there now another recluse or brahman more exalted in Enlightenment than the Blessed One'?"

"No such direct personal knowledge, indeed, is mine, Lord, of the Arahants, the Fully Enlightened Ones of the past, the future, and the present; and yet I have come to know the lawfulness of the Dhamma.
Suppose, Lord, a king's frontier fortress was strongly fortified, with strong ramparts and turrets, and it had a single gate, and there was a gatekeeper, intelligent, experienced, and prudent, who would keep out the stranger but allow the friend to enter. As he patrols the path that leads all around the fortress, he does not perceive a hole or fissure in the ramparts even big enough to allow a cat to slip through. So he comes to the conclusion: 'Whatever grosser living things are to enter or leave this city, they will all have to do so just by this gate.'
In the same way, Lord, I have come to know the lawfulness of the Dhamma.

"For, Lord, all the Blessed Ones, Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the past had abandoned the five hindrances, the mental defilements that weaken wisdom; had well established their minds in the four foundations of mindfulness; had duly cultivated the seven factors of enlightenment, and were fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment.

"And, Lord, all the Blessed Ones, Arahants, Fully Enlightened Ones of the future will abandon the five hindrances, the mental defilements that weaken wisdom; will well establish their minds in the four foundations of mindfulness; will duly cultivate the seven factors of enlightenment, and will be fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment.

"And the Blessed One too, Lord, being at present the Arahant, the Fully Enlightened One, has abandoned the five hindrances, the mental defilements that weaken wisdom; has well established his mind in the four foundations of mindfulness; has duly cultivated the seven factors of enlightenment, and is fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment."

how....Buddhists celebrate the Buddha?
Mahaparinibbana Sutta
And the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying:
"Ananda, the twin sala trees are in full bloom, though it is not the season of flowering.
And the blossoms rain upon the body of the Tathagata and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata.
And celestial coral flowers and heavenly sandalwood powder from the sky rain down upon the body of the Tathagata, and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata.
And the sound of heavenly voices and heavenly instruments makes music in the air out of reverence for the Tathagata.

"Yet it is not thus, Ananda, that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree.
But, Ananda, whatever bhikkhu or bhikkhuni, layman or laywoman, abides by the Dhamma, lives uprightly in the Dhamma, walks in the way of the Dhamma, it is by such a one that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree.
Therefore, Ananda, thus should you train yourselves:
'We shall abide by the Dhamma, live uprightly in the Dhamma, walk in the way of the Dhamma.'"
'Good Wealth asked,
“Great Sage! What does it mean to worship and respect all Buddhas...?”'
To all Tathagatas of the three periods of time,
With Bodhi, conduct, and vows most supreme,
I completely offer up my perfect cultivation;
With Samantabhadra’s practices, I awaken to Bodhi.
Read on here

One example: The Significance of Vesak Day: here & here
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm

_/\_
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Return to Open Dhamma