Must one "believe" in the Four Noble Truths?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alan

Re: Must one "believe" in the Four Noble Truths?

Post by alan »

Start with the first one. I don't think it is a question of what you believe or do not believe.
If life does not seem to be saturated with Dukkha, if you are totally pleased with Samsara, then nothing of the rest will seem to be of value.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Off-topic msgs have been moved here: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 78#p102776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
Skaffen wrote:Seems to me the cart got before the horse with the question.

'Believing', implies a static frame of mind. You don't arrive at 'Truth', you journey through it.
Knowledge is mundane.
Poor belief; has such a bad reputation. If belief in Buddhism is a tool for investigation, for practice, for inspiration, then there is not a thing static about it. Belief is, however, where one has to start.
Instead of "belief," it might also simply be "disbelief," in various delusions.

Also, as I see it, dhamma practice is a wheel made up of many interconnected axles, among which belief is just one of many and it does not matter where one starts, only that one starts. Sometimes action can precede belief, sometimes belief can precede action, or arise at the same time. For a person who is stubbornly set in their ways because of views of self, it is only through spontaneous improvement (repeated many times) that there is any meaningful change.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Individual,

It seems you are here to tell us what you think- ie your personal view of the world. Are you capable of learning as well? If so this forum will be of great help to you- otherwise once you have said your piece no one will be interested.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha